Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How to I make the SS Demo work?

How to I make the SS Demo work?
Mike S.
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 11:12 PM

I downloaded SS to demo it out but the first time I ran it the themes were grayed out and I'm told the demo period is up.

I had installed an earlier version under Jaguar but didn't keep it since the themes were being designed for Panther and didn't look right. Now that I'm running Panther I want to try it for real but I can't. Obviously, something came over in the archive/install, but what? I deleted all ShapeShifter files when I originally uninstalled it.

I've emailed Unsanity but 24 hours later and nothing from them. How long do they normally take? I'm thinking they don't want to talk to protect their demo system, I can understand this but where does that leave me?

Any suggestions? Please don't say "buy a license". I'm not against the idea but I definitely want to try it first to make sure it runs smoothly on my system before I lay out the cash.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 12:15 AM

"All Shape Shifter files"? Did you also delete any old "ShapeShifter" prefs before trying it?

"com.unsanity.shapeshifter.plist"
"com.unsanity.shapeshifter.prefpane.plist"
"com.unsanity.shapeshifter.themepreview.plist"
click one

mac15
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 12:20 AM

removing them files won't help, Jason has some hidden way of stopping it. Contact unsanity support

Mike S.  (op)
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 12:49 AM

NetworkShadow: I deleted the plists long ago.

Mac15: I have, but haven't heard a reply and I don't think I will since they probably don't want the secret to their demo lock being known. I can respect that but it's a problem...

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:14 AM

Have you tried using it with a different user account? Or just reformat your hard drive and start anew.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 01:29 AM

Have you tried paying for it? (or you can keep reformatting your HD of course ...)
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
removing them files won't help, Jason has some hidden way of stopping it.
No doubt.

Wasn't re-installing supposed to reset the demo?
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
No doubt.

Wasn't re-installing supposed to reset the demo?
No, just updates.

So say when 1.5 comes out, the clock will be reset. (at least thats how it has worked for me)

-Owl

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 02:22 AM

Hmm...I ran into similar difficulties. I installed the demo back when it first came out, then uninstalled it shortly thereafter. When 1.2 came out, I installed the demo again and discovered that I couldn't use it since the time period had already expired. Go figure.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 03:55 AM

Every release has reset the demo period, but we've got an insidious bug that makes the demo period NOT reset for a small, but appreciable fraction of our users. This is extremely bad for both you and us.

Please email me at my name (Mac15 mentioned it earlier) at a company called Unsanity, which is a standard dot-com company (damned spam!).

I'd really like to get this resolved and haven't been able to since we can't duplicate the issue. If you'd like to help us resolve the issue, that'd be, well, spiffy!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Mike S.  (op)
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Every release has reset the demo period, but we've got an insidious bug that makes the demo period NOT reset for a small, but appreciable fraction of our users. This is extremely bad for both you and us.

Please email me at my name (Mac15 mentioned it earlier) at a company called Unsanity, which is a standard dot-com company (damned spam!).

I'd really like to get this resolved and haven't been able to since we can't duplicate the issue. If you'd like to help us resolve the issue, that'd be, well, spiffy!
What's the matter, afraid of a little SPAM?

I've sent the email and am willing to help, looking forward to your reply.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
removing them files won't help, Jason has some hidden way of stopping it.
heheh, jason hides his pref files with inconspicuous names.

Forum Links
Forum Rules