Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBooks, new enclosure!

New iBooks, new enclosure!
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 08:44 AM

Apple doesn't show yet, but AI says so: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1201

toneloco28
Jul 26, 2005, 08:47 AM

No mention of a new enclosure that I see...

agentz
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 08:48 AM

Apple have just updated their front page
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 08:48 AM

Strange, in the first version of the article they claimed 'new enclosure', now it's just scrolling trackpad and SMS. I guess that's fine as well.

Maybe a mod should adjust the thread title, it's misleading the way it is now.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 26, 2005 at 08:57 AM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 08:52 AM

• 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
• $999 (US) and includes:
• 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display
• 512MB DDR SDRAM expandable to up to 1.5GB maximum memory
• 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
• slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive

• 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4
• $1,299 (US)
• 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display
• 512MB DDR SDRAM expandable to up to 1.5GB maximum memory
• 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
• slot-load SuperDrive (DVD+/-R/CD-RW) drive

Sean Alter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 08:55 AM

Glad I didn't wait, and got mine in March, these upgrades are minimal, they didn't even upgrade the 32mb video card which is lonngggg over due, but anyway I love the ibook and now have the old model.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 08:57 AM

32MB video RAM. Credit card goes back into wallet.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Ancient One
Because with a 64mb card you'd be able to play Doom 3 on it?

I don't get the crying over the video card. This isn't a gaming machine nor is it a video workhorse. It's supposed to be a general purpose consumer machine, and for that the video card is just fine.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Ancient One

Bzzzzt. Wrong answer.

Credit card buys PowerBook is the answer you are looking for.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by

I don't get the crying over the video card. This isn't a gaming machine nor is it a video workhorse. It's supposed to be a general purpose consumer machine, and for that the video card is just fine.
When you say consumer machine you're missing the target audience of 18-20 year old males. There are a lot of kids whoe are going to be buying their first laptop to take off to college. Boys who like to play Doom 3 will look at the skimpy graphics processor and be turned off. With all of this talk about the 'iPod Halo' effect Apple sort of dropped the ball here.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Bzzzzt. Wrong answer.

Actually it's just Apple purposely crippling their consumer line again so it doesn't directly compete with it's professional line.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:08 AM

32MB is fine for me... I wasn't expecting a faster one for $999. I'm not hating all the little bumps.

--- OLD ---
iBook 12" 1.2 Ghz G4
512K L2 Cache
256 MB Ram
30 GB Hard Drive
Combo Drive
Airport Extreme
$999

--- NEW ---
iBook 12" 1.33 Ghz G4
512K L2 Cache
512 MB Ram
40 GB Hard Drive
Combo Drive
Bluetooth
Airport Extreme
$999

Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
When you say consumer machine you're missing the target audience of 18-20 year old males. There are a lot of kids whoe are going to be buying their first laptop to take off to college. Boys who like to play Doom 3 will look at the skimpy graphics processor and be turned off. With all of this talk about the 'iPod Halo' effect Apple sort of dropped the ball here.
Bull. If the kids actually cared about playing Doom 3 they'd either have a tricked out PC or they'd be looking at the powerbook. Apple dropped nothing here and the only complaints come from people that want a powerbook for the price of an iBook.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:10 AM

Actually it's just Apple purposely crippling their consumer line again so it doesn't directly compete with it's professional line.
Be that as it may, if you *need* more than 32MB RAM, you're going to have to buy a PowerBook.That's all the Apple options you have. Plain and simple.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:12 AM

For all the video ram people crying about the size... Dell doesn't even offer more in their $999 systems. That is their borderline between using built in video and 32MB cards. Please feel free to prove me wrong as I only look in three areas of their online store.

havocidal
Jul 26, 2005, 09:17 AM

tt sux... i was expecting MOREEEEEE considering itz almost one year overdue... even the pbooks this yr saw better upgrades such as 15" combo having lighted kbs and the 15" and 17" can have dual-link

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by

Not games. Video.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Bzzzzt. Wrong answer.

Exactly. Wonder when they will update?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
tt sux... i was expecting MOREEEEEE considering itz almost one year overdue... even the pbooks this yr saw better upgrades such as 15" combo having lighted kbs and the 15" and 17" can have dual-link
For starters, it's only a little over 3 months overdue... not a year as you had indicated.

Are you comparing iBook updates to PowerBook updates? Because I see more PowerBook "high end" features working their way into the iBook with every revision.

These aren't horrific updates... it's just a bump. And what do you expect for the low end of the Apple portable lineup. Sure I wish I would have seen widescreen iBooks, 1.5GHz G4s and a 64MB card, but go check out what Dell is offering and you will quickly see that this isn't the worst bump ever.

ben.mcguire
Jul 26, 2005, 09:36 AM

Is the trackpad change a software thing or is it a "new" trackpad lifted from the powerbook??

I think apple had to bump the ram to 512mb , tiger ran like a pig on 256mb

galarneau
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 09:52 AM

It looks like the Radeon 9550 is fully Core Image capable... at least ATI's site it has full DirectX 9.0 support, which means it has fully compliant Programmable Pixel Shader 2.0 support.

That's something cool.

smithz4096
Jul 26, 2005, 09:53 AM

Agree. They would benefit from goin' more honest and stop that crippling. Instead of that focus on the powerbook "luxury"-factor and stuff. Just please stop cripping them ibooks technically - it stinks.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 10:10 AM

Wow. Radeon 9550 - full CoreImage support.

The 14" seems like a great deal. Boy are the people who bought iBooks yesterday gonna be pissed off!

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 10:12 AM

I'm not too impressed w/ upgrade at all. I use ibook w/ 20" LCD most of the time so having only 16MB of VRAM (since it's split) is less than desirable. As for memory bump, I have 512MB already and quite often it seems sluggish (so I had to upgrade RAM). I got my ibook last Nov. and it looks like I'll stick with it for quite a while.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by smithz4096
Agree. They would benefit from goin' more honest and stop that crippling. Instead of that focus on the powerbook "luxury"-factor and stuff. Just please stop cripping them ibooks technically - it stinks.
Other than dual monitor... how are they purposefully crippling these systems?

I'm very interested in knowing where you see Dell systems with 64MB cards for under $1000

I can show you dell systems for around $999 WITHOUT a dedicated 32MB video card.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by CrusaderSean
I'm not too impressed w/ upgrade at all. I use ibook w/ 20" LCD most of the time so having only 16MB of VRAM (since it's split) is less than desirable. As for memory bump, I have 512MB already and quite often it seems sluggish (so I had to upgrade RAM). I got my ibook last Nov. and it looks like I'll stick with it for quite a while.
512 is the correct amount of RAM. They should have been placing 512 on their systems for at least a year. I'm glad to see the bump. I'm probably still going to upgrade to 1.5GB

I think everyone would agree that 16MB per screen isn't desirable. You should have purchased a PowerMac.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 10:21 AM

This update is fine, and more or less what I would have expected given Apple's current trends. The iBook has a comfortable amount of RAM now, better storage, CoreImage-capable video (which is significantly faster, too), and an emphasis on wireless. I wonder somewhat about the value of including Bluetooth 2.0 on all models. Someone buying a $999 iBook is less likely to pick up a Bluetooth mouse or to sync their cellphone wirelessly.

One thing to remember is that this could possibly be Apple's last PowerPC-based iBook, or if not its second-last. Apple doesn't have much incentive to overhaul the architecture or form factor right now.

By the way, did anyone else notice that the iBook actually has an edge over the 12" PowerBook in that its 512 MB of RAM is in one DIMM, rather than spread across two? You can actually stuff an iBook with slightly more RAM as a result. It's not a make-or-break difference, but it does show one small aspect of what's coming for the 12" PowerBook.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 10:23 AM

Wow, this really is pathetic.

Maybe the Intel versions will hit a home run when they surface. My 500Mhz G3 iBook just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny; it's over 4 years old now. I keep wanting to upgrade, but it never seems like it'll be worth it, and this round of updates gets a big *yawn*.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
bro, ya' c'min from da teen forumzz?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CrusaderSean
iBook: Mirroring - 32 MB per screen
PowerBook: Spanning - 32 MB per screen

A 64 MB card in the iBooks would be great, but 32 MB is enough for most people, and since spanning is not meant for the iBooks, it' ok.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
512 is the correct amount of RAM. They should have been placing 512 on their systems for at least a year. I'm glad to see the bump. I'm probably still going to upgrade to 1.5GB

I think everyone would agree that 16MB per screen isn't desirable. You should have purchased a PowerMac.
I agree 512MB is the proper amount. I was just commenting even w/ that much ram osx can be sluggish. PowerMac isn't a laptop. The only reason I got an ibook was for portability since I have a proper desktop for use at home.

Also it is possible to get a Dell laptop for under $1000 with 64MB of VRAM. How? Dell has ridiculous coupons (like $600 of Inspiron, stackable coupons, edu discount) and seemingly expensive laptops can be purchased w/ considerably less money.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 11:09 AM

So, mitchell_pgh, are you going to finally grab one of the new iBooks for yourself? I'm considering getting the $999 config for myself as an inexpensive upgrade to my aging TiBook (nicer video chip, upgradable to 1.5GB RAM, double the processor speed, better wireless, Bluetooth)...

Voch

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2005, 11:12 AM

According to Apple's tech specs, the 1.42GHz model runs on a 142MHz system bus. Very interesting as it breaks with the 33MHz bus increments we've seen throughout the G4's lifespan.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 11:19 AM

not much of a bump for us 12" folks, but finally realistic onboard RAM for the iBooks.
it's a very capable machine. those who were holding out should not hesitate in the least.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 11:22 AM

and this is still on

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
According to Apple's tech specs, the 1.42GHz model runs on a 142MHz system bus. Very interesting as it breaks with the 33MHz bus increments we've seen throughout the G4's lifespan.
Yeah, very interesting. That way the two models have exactly the same 10x multiplier.

melmic113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 11:36 AM

I happen to be very happy with the update, even if it is minimal. I have been contemplating a new iBook for about two months, but kept holding out because I knew an update was iminent. I would have been perfectly happy with the old config, but I didn't want to rush to buy just to discover an upgrade soon after. The addition of the extra RAM, the included Bluetooth, the bigger HD, and the slight processor speed bump make an already attractive little laptop even more attractive.

- I was going to purchase additional RAM with the old one -- now I can purchase a smaller stick (and spend less money) to still get the 1gb I wanted.
- I wasn't thrilled with 30gb, but I can definitely make due with 40gb now (and still get an external later on if need be.)
- I was going to spend the extra money for Bluetooth -- now it comes with it.
- I liked the appeal of the PB's scrolling trackpad and sudden motion sensor -- now the iBook has them.

For those of us who were already planning on buying the old iBook, this is a nice little bonus. For those who were expecting a great deal more, I agree with the previous poster who said buy a PB or wait for the new Intel models.

It's really funny...if you read through all the old posts (on numerous Mac forums, including this one), people were begging for an update, even if just a speed bump and RAM increase. Now that they got exactly what they were asking for, they're disappointed and want more.

Are we ever truly happy?

~Melissa

melmic113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 11:37 AM

I happen to be very happy with the update, even if it is minimal. I have been contemplating a new iBook for about two months, but kept holding out because I knew an update was iminent. I would have been perfectly happy with the old config, but I didn't want to rush to buy just to discover an upgrade soon after. The addition of the extra RAM, the included Bluetooth, the bigger HD, and the slight processor speed bump make an already attractive little laptop even more attractive.

- I was going to purchase additional RAM with the old one -- now I can purchase a smaller stick (and spend less money) to still get the 1gb I wanted.
- I wasn't thrilled with 30gb, but I can definitely make due with 40gb now (and still get an external later on if need be.)
- I was going to spend the extra money for Bluetooth -- now it comes with it.
- I liked the appeal of the PB's scrolling trackpad and sudden motion sensor -- now the iBook has them.

For those of us who were already planning on buying the old iBook, this is a nice little bonus. For those who were expecting a great deal more, I agree with the previous poster who said buy a PB or wait for the new Intel models.

It's really funny...if you read through all the old posts (on numerous Mac forums, including this one), people were begging for an update, even if just a speed bump and RAM increase. Now that they got exactly what they were asking for, they're disappointed and want more.

Are we ever truly happy?

~Melissa

PS - At least they didn't update AFTER the free iPod mini offer ended....now you get a better machine and STILL get the free mini.

melmic113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 11:38 AM

Sorry, double post!! Just meant to add the PS!

~M

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sean Alter
Glad I didn't wait, and got mine in March, these upgrades are minimal, they didn't even upgrade the 32mb video card which is lonngggg over due, but anyway I love the ibook and now have the old model.
Me, too. Got mine for my birthday in January and this upgrade, while certainly nice, is not earth-shattering.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Me, too. Got mine for my birthday in January and this upgrade, while certainly nice, is not earth-shattering.
Very true... a nice bump, but not earth-shattering.

I just find it interesting that some people go out of their way to bash a new iBook because their iBook is getting older.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 26, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
and this is still on

Yup, and that's one reason I pulled the trigger on a new 12".

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 12:09 PM

I think this is a more than acceptable upgrade. I'm typing this post on a 1 GHz G4 iBook. I would've loved having 512 MB of RAM standard, the extra 10 GB of hard drive space, and Airport and Bluetooth standard (although I know this came along with the 1.2 GHz model).

Apple isn't looking to please power users with the iBook. When will people get that through their thick heads? It's a bargain deal for a Mac, and it's more than acceptable for what most people will use this for. Think high school/college students. It fills a niche'. A moderate thumbs up, Apple.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 12:15 PM

Heck, I would be considered a “pro” user by most and I get along fine with an iBook. It's a great machine at a great value and I've enjoyed every minute I've used it.

far200
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 01:13 PM

Well I hope that the new GPU will support core image....... Apples web page says that core image supports 9600 and up video cards but They my change that with the next update. Over all the ibook was a ok update...... And if your looking for a laptop for going back to school then this will be great for the price.

The macmini was a big disappointment for me so I'll just wait for the next update and hope that it's better than this one.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Yup, and that's one reason I pulled the trigger on a new 12".
Very tempting. Sell the iPod, iBook costs: $750.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 01:31 PM

The Slashdotters are reporting (and I've Googled an article or two about it) that the Radeon 9550 is simply an underclocked Radon 9600, so Core Image is a "definate possibility."

I didn't think VRAM is an issue with whether Core Image is GPU-assisted or not. Can the Rev B. PowerBook 12"/1Ghz with a 32MB nVidia GeForce4 5200 Go do the Dasboard splash thingy?

Voch

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 01:50 PM

i can assure you that my 1ghz PB can do the Dashboard splash thingy .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 01:53 PM

There is build to order 80 and 100 GB drives on the new iBooks. Are these 5400 RPM?

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i can assure you that my 1ghz PB can do the Dashboard splash thingy .
Something I'm sure you're proud of, I'm sure. I thought I read somewhere that VRAM is not that big of a deal with respect to Core Image. Thanks for the confirmation, iREZ.

Voch

Forum Links
Forum Rules