Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbooks Not Allowed On Planes Or Govt. Buildings?

Macbooks Not Allowed On Planes Or Govt. Buildings?
manasgajare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 11:32 AM

They just mentioned this on CNBC. Apparently the built in iSight violates the new security policy on airplanes and government buildings regarding recording devices. And it's not like you can just turn it off...they won't allow it in the building period. Anyone have any more information on this? Considering how many people the government employs, Apple might have been better off making the built in camera an option. And I thought going to jury duty next month was going to be a lot less boring

siMac
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by BaronVonBlah
security policy on airplanes and government buildings regarding recording devices.
Does this policy only cover video recording devices or audio too?

If this is true a lot of people are going to find themselves unable to take their cellphones on planes/to work...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

I laughed out loud when I read this.

Does anyone else find it funny?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 11:37 AM

I'm not so sure the airplane thing holds true. I've taken many pictures in planes and from plans while flying, it's never been an issue. I've even used a cell phone in the plane as long as the "Phone" mode was turned off. A lot of PDA phones have this feature...

I can possibly understand government buildings, but do you really think the people at the security desk for the court are going to know the difference between a macbook and any other laptop? I highly doubt it.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
Does this policy only cover video recording devices or audio too? A lot of people are going to find themselves unable to take their cellphones on planes/to work too...
I guess it would, seeing as they are recording equipment too. But if you look at the airplane bit, think about the percentage of people who go on to a plane with a mobile phone - 99% of those mobile phones will have a recording func on them, and the vast majority will also have a camera.

I have heard about cameras not being allowed in gov. buildings, but not on airplanes (on which I always take a camcorder in my hand luggage)

Edit: damn, Ben beat me to it!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 11:47 AM

Government work is one thing, but surely it can't be true that you can't take a camera on an airplane. And if so, why is the MacBook getting the press? As others have said, banning the camera phones that everyone seems to have, and the camcorders and digital cameras that everyone brings on vacation would seem to affect a hell of a lot more people. What is the rationale behind not allowing them on an airplane? What could possibly happen?

Anyway, I imagine the people at theipatch.com will be coming out with something usable on a laptop.

http://www.theipatch.com/

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 11:52 AM

If someone use that ipatch thing for what it is designed for, to stop people from seeing you when you want to have privacy, they must have a serious case of paranoia!

oh, and... 1000th post!!! woo!!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

manasgajare  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 12:03 PM

that iPatch thing doesn't seem useful in this case since I doubt they'll be like "Go ahead Akbar, just promise not to remove that piece of plastic from the camera...ok?"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 12:08 PM

Well, supposedly it can be attached permanently. I guess the other option for people working where they don't allow cameras is to just destroy the camera with some superglue or something over the lens. There was a thread about this issue on Macintouch a bit ago.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 12:16 PM

I travel through Hartsfield Int'l Airport (Atlanta) on a regular basis and have yet to meet one employee who I felt would know the difference between a Macbook and any other computer around. I doubt that even if this was an issue, they'd take the time to open every notebook computer that came through security to assure there wasn't a camera attached.

Besides, I can barely spot the camera on the Blackbook without getting right up close to it as it is.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Airplane bit.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

dreamryche
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 12:16 PM

It would really be nice if Apple had a BTO option for a camera-less version. It would be simple enough to implement, I'd think.

manasgajare  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 12:29 PM

This review seems to confirm the government building restrictions:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...cbookpro.ars/2

The availability of the built-in iSight camera just above the screen and in between the two (two!) latches is certainly a brand new addition to Apple's pro-line notebooks, and according to some of our reader feedback, both a welcome and unwelcome change. It is unwelcome because, as Jade mused while at the MacWorld Expo, Apple can say goodbye to any previous PowerBook-using government workers or anyone who works in any sort of secure environment where cameras of any kind are not allowed. Oops on Apple's part. People with families or those who travel a lot, particularly business- or servicemen and -women, are thrilled to have the iSight built into the MacBook's frame to maximize the ability to visually communicate with loved ones without having to carry around extraneous bulky accessories

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 12:59 PM

I don't think we need confirmation on that aspect -- I've known camera restrictions for government work for years.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BaronVonBlah
And I thought going to jury duty next month was going to be a lot less boring
Good luck with that. Jurors out here can't bring anything electronic in with them.

jsousa
May 22, 2006, 01:46 PM

I think often times things are outlawed so that way they could prosecute people if needed. So what I am saying is that they really don't care if you bring in your MacBook, but if you are recording stuff everywhere you go they can take legal action against you more easily.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by aristobrat
Good luck with that. Jurors out here can't bring anything electronic in with them.
I brought my iBook into jury duty last time I was there, they even gave a speech about how they're working on getting the people waiting wireless internet.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I brought my iBook into jury duty last time I was there, they even gave a speech about how they're working on getting the people waiting wireless internet.
Was this when you were waiting to see if you were selected, or after you were selected and given a case?

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 22, 2006, 02:38 PM

It's not necessarily all government buildings, but it is quite likely that if you have a job dealing with any sensitive or confidential government information, then bringing a camera of any sort into work is not allowed, no matter which type of device it's attached to.

However, as these things get more pervasive, management in these places are going to have to figure out how to deal with the existence of these devices without simply banning them. Forget the MacBook -- how many options are there for you to get a cell phone without a camera nowadays? It seems like the only phones without cameras now are the dirt-cheap models which lack other features. Are govermnent employees forever relegated to carrying around cheap cell phones?

Forum Links
Forum Rules