Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using X-Box 360 as a Apple TV Replacement

Using X-Box 360 as a Apple TV Replacement
evildede
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 AM

I've been toying with the idea of using my X-Box 360 to stream my media to my projector. I wanted to compress all of my movies in H264 since it seens the 360 now supports it, and then put them in my iTunes library on an external HDD that I recently bought. After buying it and ripping a few movies using Handbrake, I am having a few problems and I'd like to know if anyone can help me with it.

I've made 4 different encodes, and only 1 of them works when streamed. The other 3, the 360 just says are not compatible, although all 4 have been ripped the same way. Anyone know what could have gone wrong?

Also, I tried some other h264 videos like the Speed Racer trailer that I got on speedracermovie.com and the The Dark Knight trailer that I got on atasteforthetheatrical.com . The Batman trailer works flawlessly, while the Speed Racer one doesn't, and as far as I can see, both have been encoded the same way.

So if anyone has any idea, please let me know. I know that the encodes I have done in MPEG4 worked perfectly, although the quality isn't as good. One last thing I would like to ask, is would files encoded in h264 with average bitrate of 2500 look as good as the original disc upconverted? Because I am almost thinking in scrapping this altogether and instead just getting a CD binder to put all of my discs and store the cases somewhere else, which is the main reason for me doing this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules