Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Guild Wars >>> WoW - yes or no?

Guild Wars >>> WoW - yes or no? (Page 2)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But they charge for the internet service.

You bought the modem, you buy WoW. You pay a fee to Comcast, you pay a fee to Blizzard.
If I didn't need internet access to play WoW, that would make sense.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But they charge for the internet service.

You bought the modem, you buy WoW. You pay a fee to Comcast, you pay a fee to Blizzard.
Ah, but with that analogy, if you buy a cable modem yourself, you don't have to use it with Comcast - you can use it with any cable Internet provider.

With WoW, on the other hand, it's effectively illegal (EULA violation) to use the WoW software with a non-Blizzard server. So not only are you buying the software for $40+, but you're also obligated to use their $15/mo service.

It'd be better to compare it to buying a cell phone, where it's locked to the service provider. Problem is, the current cell phone model (in the US, at least) is total crap.

I would say that if Blizzard is going to charge a monthly fee for WoW, they shouldn't charge for the client software - or at least, not charge so much for it. The way they have it set up now, they're raking in money hand over fist. Guild Wars has no monthly fee, and the client software is cheaper than WoW.

I think that the bottom line is that there are people who simply don't want to spend money every month on an MMO, particularly since there are other MMOs out there that do not charge a monthly fee. If you don't have a problem with blowing $15/mo on WoW, good for you. But there are still those of us who won't play it, because of that fee.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2009, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm not a big MMO person (I think they're kind of dumb, TBH), but the BF and BFF both play Guild Wars, so it's kind of fun to all play together in the same room and stuff.

The graphics are AMAZING in Guild Wars compared to WoW, and the whole world is just more fun to explore IMO than the WoW world.

All the people we play with in WoW are on the Horde side, so we're both Druids (mostly because I wanted to be a kitty).

Guild Wars has a lower learning curve, too. The gameplay is kept relatively simple compared to WoW, which is really nice.
I haven't played in a very long time, but I watched a friend playing the new expansion and the graphics are much improved in Northrend.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wyldway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2009, 11:08 AM

Is this THE starman from the warcraft podcast?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 04:17 PM

Yes.

(I probably should have let him answer, but in case he doesn't see this....)

Also: Anyone notice the 4-year anniversary stuff? Pretty awesome...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules