Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't connect to a shared iTunes library

Can't connect to a shared iTunes library
pabloEskimo
May 6, 2003, 07:19 AM

I've a cable connection in Belgium (Telenet) and I can not connect to any itunes shared playlist over the internet. It connects, a green playlist appears on the left side, but after 1 or 2 seconds it disappears

it does that with every shared library out there

and everyone else is able to connect to my shared library

but none of my friends also with a Telenet cable connection can connect...

what's the problem??

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 11:46 AM

I'm with the same provider in Belgium and I have the exact same problem. I personally think that it's their proxy -Telenet makes you use one by default, because the service essentially acts as a huge local network, except when outside data is needed, then they make you go through their proxy. For example, you can visit their home page without putting in a proxy because it's considered to be hosted locally. If you try to go to another website, however, it won't work.

Now, the specifics of why the shared playlist thingy wouldn't work is beyond me, but it may be that the proxies block a number of ports, or that they're not equipped to support Rendezvous. (Don't know if that's a possible reason).

Any more thoughts on this?

pabloEskimo  (op)
May 7, 2003, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by Hozie:
I'm with the same provider in Belgium and I have the exact same problem. I personally think that it's their proxy -Telenet makes you use one by default, because the service essentially acts as a huge local network, except when outside data is needed, then they make you go through their proxy. For example, you can visit their home page without putting in a proxy because it's considered to be hosted locally. If you try to go to another website, however, it won't work.

Now, the specifics of why the shared playlist thingy wouldn't work is beyond me, but it may be that the proxies block a number of ports, or that they're not equipped to support Rendezvous. (Don't know if that's a possible reason).

Any more thoughts on this?
I called Telenet Helpdesk and they don't know what the problem is. They say they don't block any ports and say that we should call Apple to see what special stuff iTunes does. Backup is another application I can't use with telenet.

where can I contact someone from Apple to hear what the problem might be?

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 08:50 AM

I've heard that using a program called Authoxy might work. Apparently, OS X 10.2 and higher has problems with proxy authentication. I'm gonna try it now...

<edit> Nope, doesn't work for me. Something strange going on indeed... <\edit>
( Last edited by Hozie; May 7, 2003 at 09:09 AM. )

Patton76
May 7, 2003, 01:30 PM

It's the proxy, and Apple doesn't write their software with proxies in mind.

They do in later versions, but never in the first version.

It's the same with backup, ical, etc.

If you turn the proxy off, you can listen to your shared libraries.

For one strange reason, itunes is using the proxy to connect to a local computer.

It's Apple's fault, not Telenet. It will be waiting for an itunes, ical, backup, etc. update, unfortunatly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules