Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Extremist islamist causes terror alert, and gets denied entry to USA

Extremist islamist causes terror alert, and gets denied entry to USA (Page 4)
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 01:28 PM

If the US doesn't end up with the solid proof it claims it has... heads are going to roll.

Considering the US is typically very public when they deny someone entry, and disclose the reason, and withheld it this time... I'm a bit skeptical. Why are they being so tight lipped? He's a legal British citizen living within the scope of our closest ally's laws.

*If* the US made a mistake on this, this is going to take a few steps:

1. Some internal investigations within Homeland Dept, FAA, and FBI, and a few heads will roll.

2. International Retailiation.

I've been saying this for 2 years now: were getting to the point where automatic visa's for US citizens to countries is going to end. Right now traveling as an American citizen is the easiest in the world. Almost nowhere do you need to do more than present a passport on entry. IMHO those days are numbered (and less than 5 years). You'll need to apply for visa's to enter the EU within 5 years time. And they will be some US like system to ensure people that enter the EU have no criminal history etc. etc.

No way the current system of show a passport and get through will continue past 5 years. Heck there's already talk about what the replacement will be. It's not really *if*, it's *when*.

Considering the EU is starting to get the upper hand economically, I'd personally be suprised if they don't. They are the first group of nations to get to the point where they have the power to successfully force that type of change without US-repremand.

The US State Dept. is very protective of Americans and makes a HUGE deal when ever an american is detained before entering a country... it requires citizens to report any problems within 24hrs as well. It's not a choice.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
And they will be some US like system to ensure people that enter the EU have no criminal history etc. etc.
I doubt this part; Europe's strong public and political focus on personal data security and abuse laws imposes limits upon what can and what cannot be done.

IANAL, however.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 26, 2004, 03:03 PM

Cat Stevens may have financed the WTC attack.

A second government official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said U.S. authorities think donations from Islam may have ended up helping to fund blind sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, convicted for a plot to bomb New York City landmarks, and Hamas, a Palestinian militant group considered a terrorist organization by the United States.

I heard he's now suing. Let him sue, if the US govt has evidence against him, then it will come out, I assume.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

A second government official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said U.S. authorities think donations from Islam may have ended up helping to fund blind sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, convicted for a plot to bomb New York City landmarks, and Hamas, a Palestinian militant group considered a terrorist organization by the United States.

I heard he's now suing. Let him sue, if the US govt has evidence against him, then it will come out, I assume.
And what if the evidence is wrong/inaccurate/non-existant (as if that doesn't happen quite often).

I'm curious how much this is worth.

I'm going to suggest a minimum of $50mil in that case. Much likely higher.

Considering how many times airports have held people and refused to let them fly and blamed it on 'technical errors', or 'false information'. I wouldn't be shocked.

If he manages to get some action... I'd bet the US will be bombarded with hundreds of other lawsuits. Totalling well over 1/2 bil when all is said and done. Investigations by popular media find there are several people daily denied boarding because of these problems.

Perhaps the US should consider not basing terrorism databases on MSAccess? That might be a start.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 03:51 PM

Yeah sure, and maybe Cat Stevens is Osama - ever notice how they're never seen together? Either way, get the rope ready.

SPel Chekc

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2004, 04:06 PM

I doubt it. His case probably will be dismissed before discovery starts.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
Yeah sure, and maybe Cat Stevens is Osama - ever notice how they're never seen together? Either way, get the rope ready.

SPel Chekc
Perhaps we can get the 'report post' link on this forum to add the user to the terror watch list?

It could only improve accuracy if we let people submit each other based on personal opinion and political beliefs.

I see some $$$ in the future of many people. The US has made way to many 'technical errors' and 'mistakes' for it to be pure accident. Heck even Ted Kennedy was a terrorist a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile, Noelle Bush has a history of drug smuggling. I'm curious. The terror watch list is also apparantly designed to help in the "war on drugs".... is she blacklisted?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 11:57 AM

Homeland Security said Cat Stevens was on their radar for some time for terrorist ties... yet:

"I was devastated," Islam wrote. "The unbelievable thing is that only two months earlier, I had been having meetings in Washington with top officials from the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives to talk about my charity work.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html
Bush Administration working with known terrorists? Not that I would be shocked. But that's a bit of double talk even for the Bush Admin.

Something smells funny about all this.

Me thinks Homeland Security's got some explaining to do about how this system works. If even Senators can be terrorists... we need some clarification.

Forum Links
Forum Rules