Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Extreme keyboard remapping.... or not

Extreme keyboard remapping.... or not
KianD
Feb 3, 2005, 07:06 PM

I want a Delete key on my iBook. I never use F11, as I never use Expose or any other app that needs it.

Whilst I know that the normal keys can be remapped, is there any way to write a keymap defs file that remaps F11 to Delete? I'm almost certain my PMac has a Delete key so its not like it doesn't exsist as a keycode...
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 04:01 AM

I know this isn't quite what you're looking for, but you do realise that fn-delete works as a forward delete key?

KianD  (op)
Feb 4, 2005, 06:30 AM

I presume you mean fn-Backspace. But no, its not what I'm looking for as the fn-key is on the wrong side of the keyboard...

Another thing I'd like to remap is the superflous Enter key (the one between Cmd and the left arrow) to being another fn-key.... doubt thats possible, its more in hardware than software I presume.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by KianD:
I presume you mean fn-Backspace. But no, its not what I'm looking for as the fn-key is on the wrong side of the keyboard...

Another thing I'd like to remap is the superflous Enter key (the one between Cmd and the left arrow) to being another fn-key.... doubt thats possible, its more in hardware than software I presume.
Enter can be remapped with (IIRC) uControl - dunno if it can map it as FN though.

BTW, the correct terms on the Mac have traditionally been 'delete' (for the one that goes left) and 'forwards delete' for the other, not backspace and delete. I think the terminology still stands... I have Apple's international (iconic not text labels) keyboard so I'm not sure.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
BTW, the correct terms on the Mac have traditionally been 'delete' (for the one that goes left) and 'forwards delete' for the other, not backspace and delete. I think the terminology still stands... I have Apple's international (iconic not text labels) keyboard so I'm not sure.
Yes, every Mac keyboard I have used over the years always labels the keys 'delete', and then forward-delete has an icon. Backspace and Delete tend to be the equivalent terms for other PCs.

KianD  (op)
Feb 4, 2005, 08:28 AM

Its Backspace and Delete rather than Delete and Forward Delete on all my x86 machines, my SGI and SPARC.....

I'll try uControl. Not having an fn- beside the down/up arrows is one of the reasons I can't develop on my iBook - paging up and down can't be done with one hand, although considering its a small laptop I cna *almost* reach fn- and down....

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by KianD:
Its Backspace and Delete rather than Delete and Forward Delete on all my x86 machines, my SGI and SPARC.....
Correct. However we were talking about Macs here...

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 09:04 AM

Actually, creating a new keyboard layout is reasonably straightforward. Go to /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/Unicode.bundle, show package contents, and look at any of the .keylayout files for an example. The file is XML so you can open it in a text editor, and you'll see lots of lines like:

<key code="6" output="z" />

which you can edit as you like. There is also a line like

<keyboard group="126" id="-17920" name="Arabic" maxout="3">

near the top. Change the name to something new and the id to something random, and save the result (with the new name) in /Library/Keyboard Layouts: it doesn't need to be in a bundle. You can then select it from International Preferences.

For the details, look at Apple's developer website, where all is explained!

Barney.

Forum Links
Forum Rules