Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Can 5400 be overclocked?

Can 5400 be overclocked?
KianD
Feb 5, 2005, 11:20 AM

Is it possible to overclock something as archaic as a Power Macintosh 5400/180? I know this machine ran to 200 anyway, and I assume its the same logic board

I also know I can get an upgrade card, but they're not cheap...
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

finboy
Feb 5, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by KianD:
Is it possible to overclock something as archaic as a Power Macintosh 5400/180? I know this machine ran to 200 anyway, and I assume its the same logic board

I also know I can get an upgrade card, but they're not cheap...
If you look around you can find the 400 1M Sonnet upgrade for $99. It's well worth the investment. The 5400 can use just about any IDE hard drive, and the PCI slot supports a USB or Firewire card (or a combo, I guess). The 136M RAM limitation is a drawback, but they make great fileservers and remote backup machines.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 03:53 PM

http://www.zone6400.com/6400clocking.html

This site is pretty good for 5x and 6x series Performas, I had it bookmarked back when I had my 6400, it always came in handy.

edit: Looks like you can get your 5400 up to 240MHz by tweaking the jumpers.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KianD  (op)
Feb 14, 2005, 09:08 PM

Thanks. Now, to find my spare logic board.... I'm not the best with a soldering iron and still use the 5400 a fair bit so I'd prefer not to murder it.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules