Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird powerdowns

Weird powerdowns
KianD
Feb 18, 2005, 02:22 PM

My iBook has started powering down or going in/out of sleep mode when moved relatively sharply - e.g. off my lap and onto the table beside me when getting up. It doesn't happen all the time, and it only ever happens when using OSX and not Linux (very, very weird, that).

Is this a hardware fault or have I got a poltergeist in my OSX install?
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 03:46 PM

OS X has no way of knowing whether or not your iBook is moving. It's not software. Linux doesn't usually support sleep properly. This sounds like a hardware problem.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

KianD  (op)
Feb 19, 2005, 04:35 PM

Linux does support the sleep properly, as of the as-yet-unrelease 2.6.11 kernel

I assumed it was a hardware issue, but as I know the Powerbooks *do* have a hardware motion sensor I was wondering if the iBook has any such gizmos that OSX could be wired to and Linux not.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules