Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Grey keyboard?

Grey keyboard?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

When did the iBooks go to a grey keyboard? I didn't much like it when they went from silver/translucent white to flat white, but this flat grey is REALLY ugly.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
When did the iBooks go to a grey keyboard? I didn't much like it when they went from silver/translucent white to flat white, but this flat grey is REALLY ugly.
Can you post a photo? I've not seen any grey iBook keyboards...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 11:15 PM

Sorry, no pics. Saw them when I was in the Apple Store today

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 12:11 AM

Since the ibooks have contrasting colors, white being on the bottom, i guess the top could be considered gray, which matches the keyboard.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 12:34 AM

They are definitely different from the keyboards on the first Snow iBooks.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2005, 01:36 AM

it happened when they went to the G4.

i agree, it's quite ugly and from what i've seen it retains dirt as well. i'm very happy with my 900MHz iBook, the last G3 ever made.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2005, 12:14 PM

We got my wife's G4 iBook just over a year ago. The keycaps are exactly the same color as the palmrests. I think pictures of the "gray" keys would be appropriate here...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 02:48 PM

yeah, the new ibooks definitely have grey keyboards, the same shade as the palmrests, trackpad, and the frame around the screen. they're white on the outside, grey on the inside - i don't have any photos, but you can see it pretty clearly at http://www.apple.com/ibook/

sminch

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2005, 06:37 PM

Ok, I see what you're talking about. I'd call it beige in person. And yes, they are indeed different from the outside of the case.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2005, 11:27 PM

Beige implies a mustardy tone, which Apple's hardware hasn't had since 1987. (All the "beige" Mac sold until 1998 were really a light gray Apple calls "platinum".)

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2005, 11:32 AM

Ok, how about "off white," or "ecru" for the fancified. It just doesn't look gray to me.

Anyway, wasn't there a problem with people complaining that their translucent keyboards got dirty very quickly? I would think that would be very likely.

KianD
Feb 21, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Ok, how about "off white," or "ecru" for the fancified. It just doesn't look gray to me.

Anyway, wasn't there a problem with people complaining that their translucent keyboards got dirty very quickly? I would think that would be very likely.
they do get dirty very quickly. And they have to be cleaned by abrasion of some kind - a pencil eraser works fine.

As goes 87-98 machines being 'platinum' - my 5400 is most certainly beige. It has spent a lot of time in direct sunlight though, and I think the former owner may have been a smoker..
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 12:26 PM

My girls ibook G4 just came last week and it has a white keyboard. Sure its not glassy white like the case but it is definitely not grey.
12.1" Powerbook G4

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 01:25 PM

okay, this is a little off-topic but i've been meaning to ask it for a while - when you clean the keyboard / trackpad / palmrests with a pencil erasor, how do you stop the grubby little chunks of detritus going all over the place incl under the keys on your keyboard? do you guys sit there with a your erasor in one hand and a dustbuster in the other or what?

just curious cos i'll need to do this soon and don't want to screw up my keys...

sminch

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by KianD:
As goes 87-98 machines being 'platinum' - my 5400 is most certainly beige. It has spent a lot of time in direct sunlight though, and I think the former owner may have been a smoker..
Well, they left the factory platinum! Many of those plastics did go distinctly yellow after a few years' exposure to sunlight.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules