Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sendind a machine back for repair

Sendind a machine back for repair
KianD
Mar 11, 2005, 08:32 AM

The random sleeping-when-being-moved issue my machine has is driving me nuts now, so the laptops going back for repair. As its possibly a HDD issue, its all being backed up, but I've got a few other questions...

Where the hell do I send it? We have no Apple stores here. The nearest we had was a tied Apple shop owned by Compustore, but they went bust and their new owners are an x86 system builder (iQon), so no Apple store..

Secondly, considering they'll probably have to open the case, are they likely to leave my original base plate intact? Its got my work asset tag on it, and I'd prefer not to have to get a replacement, as the properties department are like something from Dilbert

Thirdly - is there any chance they'll replace the little bobble thats broken off one side of the my screen (the screen buffer thing). HP replace any missing rubberware or damaged keys when you send a system in for a full repair anyway.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 03:00 PM

First, Apple decides if the issue is something that you send the laptop in for. If they deem it a repair worthy issue they send you a box with prepaid postage to send it back to them in.

Second, this is not your laptop. It is a company issued laptop and as a result their property. If you are trying to send it in to be repaired you should talk to the proper individuals at the company to make sure they are aware it is going in and OK anything that may be changed or replaced on it as a result of the repairs.

Lastly, if you broke it they probably won�t fix it unless the part is connected to a defect of problem that is the result of their negligence.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

KianD  (op)
Mar 11, 2005, 03:06 PM

Company policy on machines is that if its not ix86, its up to the user to get it repaired. Its their only PPC machine, and its my personal system, so they just gave me the receipt. Same as when I had an SGI workstation.

As goes the rubber nubbly, any x86 vendor would replace it as a matter of course because its a 3 cent component that they would have boxes of....
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules