Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook pro shuts off when battery put in

macbook pro shuts off when battery put in
jay3ld
Senior User
Dec 3, 2010, 08:42 PM

Hello,

I had my battery removed from my Macbook pro (late 2007 2.2 ghz model). I usually remove the battery while watching movies as it tends to heat up the laptop otherwise and I had heard its bad for the battery.

So I went to pop the battery back in and as soon as I did. It instantly lost power. The super drive made the noise it does when it instantly loses power, the screen went black, the back-lighting went off, etc. I thought maybe the battery wasn't in there good, so I tried again, lost power again. I tried this a few times and same thing. I finally got it to work by putting the battery in and holding the power button down until it started up.

Does this give any indication of any bad hardware to anyone? It has me worried as my warranty just expired recently and now this (like all good products).
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2010, 08:55 PM

Shorted battery/connector.
Perhaps look to getting the battery replaced, check for any swelling and to see if it's covered under and recalls.

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2010, 11:01 PM

I've only had the battery for about 3 months. I had it replaced by Apple a couple months ago when it stopped charging. The battery doesn't appear to be swelling. It is actually working at the moment (I am running off the battery at the moment).
Although, I didn't apply the battery update when I got the new battery. I don't think I would need too due to it being this recent?
Is there any recalls for 2010? I was able to locate a recall from a few years ago (just before I bought mine), but I have had my battery replaced twice now.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2010, 12:03 AM

If you have access to another machine, test the battery with that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2010, 10:13 AM

For the record, leaving Mac batteries in isn't detrimental to them. Thats the cheapo windows laptops that applies to. There is a reason Apple PSUs cost twice as much.

Your MBP runs cooler because it can suck cold air in through the battery bay. I considered trying to build a blank battery module with some fans in it once upon a time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2010, 09:39 PM

I only own one macbook pro, so I can't test with another machine. I do own a multimeter, if I know what I need to test for I can.

Waragainstsleep,
Oh really. Thanks for that information. I forgot where I read it, but I was certain it pertained to macbooks and how "hot" they run when doing cpu/gpu intensive tasks. I have had my brick so hot, that I couldn't even touch it. My macbook has been close to that feeling up near the air vents above the keyboard. I thought that the battery was basically a big brick that didn't dissipate the heat and basically acted as a hot pack.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 06:06 PM

Try resetting the pmu. The Mac may have got confused what with taking the battery out etc.

Remove the battery and disconnect the magsafe cable, then hold the power button down for ten seconds. Re insert battery and connect magasfe. Restart.

Hopefully that will clear any odd issues.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules