Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Classic (5 yrs old) may be dead

iPod Classic (5 yrs old) may be dead
iowaborn58
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2011, 03:57 PM

I have a 5-year old iPod Classic, 80GB that has served me very well. Yesterday, for no apparent reason, it hung up. I performed a reset and after the initial Apple logo boot screen a red-circled "X" appeared. Below that was: Apple - Support - iPod + iTunes. When I went there, they simply had me walk through the same steps. I connected it to my MacBook Pro via USB. It obviously detected the iPod because it told me to reset it and it would then be put into recovery mode. However, once this screen disappeared, nothing happened.

Is my iPod officially dead? Do I need to plan a funeral? Is there hope of resuscitating it?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2011, 05:05 PM

Remove the battery and connect it again?

iowaborn58  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2011, 07:35 PM

Can I do that on my own? Any online video instructions for doing this?

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
Apr 6, 2011, 02:45 PM

I think Apple thought that you've used your iPod too long! haha. It is weird how your iPod just stopped working all of a sudden. It's not even like it started breaking down one problem at a time.

I don't think it's the battery because you would've recognized the battery life drop little by little. It must be the processor or something else internal.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 09:32 PM

The hard drive inside probably died. 5 years isn't bad, from what I hear. My iPod 3G 40GB is 7.5 years old and counting (third battery).

It's cheaper to just replace it, instead of replacing the drive. Besides, you have no idea what else could be wrong. Sell it for parts and move up.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules