Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Good n00b Password Manager?

Good n00b Password Manager?
subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:11 PM

I use 1Password and love it, but it's... quirky. I've found you usually need to massage a new login for it to work properly. I don't personally mind doing this, but I have a bunch of friends who need to fix their password situation, and I'm going to be fighting an uphill battle to get them to maintain compliance in the first place. The closer the system is to "fire and forget" the better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:28 PM

I haven't found anything close to 1PW.

The quirkiness is also be a "fault" of the websites.

The other thing that seems to work well is lastpass.
Personally, I wouldn't trust an online service, especially after the latest security breach.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:41 PM

Online certainly has its issues.

My understanding though is that the lastpass people have their shit together. Last I heard (on Wednesday, so it's out of date), they're not even sure there was an intrusion, but they're (appropriately) treating even the possibility as a big deal. If there was an intrusion, what they got was hashed, so there's going to be some lead time for an intruder to get something usable, not to mention that what's most vulnerable is people who have really simple dictionary master passwords.

I'm definitely interested with people's day-to-day lastpass experience.
( Last edited by subego; May 7, 2011 at 05:50 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:43 PM

I would store my stuff online if Sony offered something

-t

ibook_steve
May 7, 2011, 05:47 PM

+1 for 1Password. As mentioned, issues are usually with the different ways that different web sites want you to enter passwords. 1Password itself has been the best solution for me.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 08:53 PM

The main quirk for me is how it segues from the page on a website where you make a new account, to the page on the website with the day to day login.

Am I doing something wrong?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The main quirk for me is how it segues from the page on a website where you make a new account, to the page on the website with the day to day login.

Am I doing something wrong?
You need to edit the URL. Make it point to the login URL, not the New Account URL that was saved when setting up the account.

My tip: don't save the data when setting up the account, save it the first time you log in.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 10:16 PM

Yeah. This is what I mean by "quirky". We fit the profile of people this doesn't bother. I'm talking about normal people.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 11:21 PM

Yeah. This is what I mean by "quirky". We fit the profile of people this doesn't bother. I'm talking about normal people.
Well, it's expecting too much from technology. At least for now.

-t

ibook_steve
May 8, 2011, 01:44 AM

There's no way for 1Password to know that you are on a new registration page vs. a login page. I follow the advice that was given: don't save the login until you actually login.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 10:52 AM

Again, this is good advice for someone who "gets it".

Would you be comfortable setting up someone's grandma with that set of rules, and assume they'd maintain absolute and total compliance?

Edit: the big problem here is needing to run 1P itself to dig out your generated password from the archive. Grams will forget that's what she's supposed to do, and when things go pear-shaped she'll either call me for tech support or throw her hands up in exasperation.
( Last edited by subego; May 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 12:55 PM

Would you be comfortable setting up someone's grandma with that set of rules, and assume they'd maintain absolute and total compliance?
There is only one solution: granny 2.0

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 01:01 PM

Happy Mother's Day! We got you a replacement!

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2011, 01:43 PM

I wish that Safari's password autofill/keychain was more reliable. I use it for 92% of my login sites, but for some sites it just doesn't offer to save the login info...

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
May 31, 2011, 01:01 PM

Would 1 Password be a little risky? Having all your passwords in one place would mean that it would be much easier to hack, not to mention an easier target.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 01:32 PM

Riskier is relative. Riskier than what? Using the same weak password for most if not all logins? Using stronger passwords but storing them weakly? A good password manager with a strong keychain password is much better than any alternative I can think of, unless you're a genius at memorizing and retaining strong passwords.

1Password is the best manager on the market. And as long as you wait to save a new login until after your first regular login, you should experience very few quirks, as noted.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 09:40 PM

^ what he said.

Just gotta use a strong keychain (master) password, to counter brute force attacks.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules