Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE5 Incompatibility with Word?

IE5 Incompatibility with Word?
ilash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2000, 02:46 PM

MS Word quits with a Type 2 Error when I try to cut, copy, or paste text into a Word document after the installation of IE5. Could it be that some of the extensions needed to run Word conflict with some of those those needed to run IE5?

There was an earlier post in this Forum that confirmed that someone else was having problems with Word after installing IE5. Now I can't find the original post, but I did follow the suggestion that was made to alleviate the problem, and I'm still having difficulties.

Please help, because I very much need to be able to run both of these applications.

[This message has been edited by ilash (edited 04-04-2000).]

ilash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2000, 09:19 AM

I discovered the solution to this problem!

If one takes the precaution of removing all MS extensions prior to installing IE5, the installer will install an outdated version of Microsoft Component Library, v2.2.2. However, the more robust version of this extension, v 2.2.4, is needed in order for all of the MS Office applications to function properly. MS Word, for example, will crash with a Type 2 error if one tries to cut, copy, paste, or drag and drop text within the application with v2.2.2 installed; with v2.2.4, all of this functionality is restored.

ky
Apr 9, 2000, 12:26 PM

Did you check out the MS Office Combined Updater for Office98 and also the Office Update for MacOS9? Avail at the Microsoft site

ilash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2000, 06:53 AM

Yes, I had updated my MS Office application with all of the appropriate updates. And then, because I took the precaution of removing all MS extensions prior to installing IE5, I had difficulties.

Everything works fine now. But the installer should not, by default, install an outdated version of the Microsoft Internet Component Library - especially when other MS applications' functionality is dependent upon the installation of the more current version of this extension.

Normally, i would have noticed the version change. The trouble is that the version that installs with IE5, v2.2.2, has a more recent modification date of 3/17/00, which would leave you to believe that the extension is actually more current than the other version of the extension..

Of course, in all fairness to MS, if you do a clean install of your system software, you will get the older version of this extension installed as well.

For the record, if you are running IE5 and MS Office 98, here are the extensions that you will need to have installed for all of these applications to function properly:

Microsoft Component Library 2.2.4
Microsoft Framework 5.0.2
Microsoft Hyperlink Library 1.0
Microsoft Internet Library 5.0.2
Microsoft OLE Automation 2.20.4244
Microsoft OLE Library 2.2.4
Microsoft RPC Runtime Library 4.0.3 (OUTDATED??)
Microsoft Structured Storage 2.2.4
MS Font Embed Library (PPC) 5.0.2
MS Library Folder
MS C++ Library (PPC) 4.5
MS Parser Library (PPC) 4.5

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by ilash (edited 04-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ilash (edited 04-10-2000).]

mrfcobf
Apr 10, 2000, 11:02 AM

OK I've got the old ones of:

component library
ole library
structured storage
embed library

How do I reinstall the new?

ilash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2000, 11:39 AM

Ok, so far as I know, the only way to get the updated extensions is first to rerun the updater(s) to MS Office. (I think there is a single combined updater that replaces all of the earlier updaters.) That should give you the latest versions of Microsoft Component Library, Microsoft OLE Library and Microsoft Structured Storage.

Then, run the "First Run" of IE5. That will install the latest version of the Font Embed Library. When you run "First Run" leave all of your MS extensions in the extensions folder. The IE5 installer will not install an outdated version of any extension over a more updated version, regardless of the incorrect or misleading modification dates given for some of these extensions, i.e. Microsoft Component Library.

Also worth noting is that several of the extensions within the MS Library Folder will be deleted. That's because they are no longer needed once you've replaced Internet Explorer 4.5 with Internet Explorer 5.0.

Please write back to let us know if this works for you.

mrfcobf
Apr 11, 2000, 07:56 PM

It was odd - 50/50 response. My PowerBook worked - installed the new ones, but the iMac did not. I tried the exact installers in the same order twice and ran the 1st run with no luck. I copied the files over from the PB - we'll see if it's more stable. At least it worked on the laptop so I could get copies of the files!!! The two updaters were called "Combined Updater for Office98" and "Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0"

Thanks,

Bob

ilash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2000, 08:34 AM

Well, 50/50 beats nothing, but that's odd, indeed!
Of course, we shouldn't have to be reinstalling updaters, etc. All MS had to do was to have had the correct extensions install by default with IE5.

I wish the Microsoft representatives would respond and say why the outdated versions of some of these extensions have been included with IE5. A simple oversight? And to think that Apple did the same thing with OS 9! ( You may not recall that OS 9 also installs the v.2.2 of Microsoft Internet Library.)

Nyarlathotep
Apr 23, 2000, 08:24 AM

Easiest thing to do:

Delete anything with the Microsoft name in the Extensions folder.

Run any Office app (make sure you've downloaded and applied the Combined Updater and the Mac OS 9 updater, in that order)

Run Internet Explorer 5's First Run application.

That should take care of it.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2000, 11:30 PM

One interesting point: the MS instructions posted at the MacFixIt site specify that to install IE 5 you should remove the Microsoft Component Library in the Extensiosn folder. I just installed IE 5 again after many problems in the first and second go-arounds, following the instructions. Fortunately, I saved all the stuff that the isntructions said to trash, so I had the more recent version of the Library ready to put back in the folder.

I guess I just can't understand why the folks at MS are doing things this way
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules