Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Batteries, batteries, batteries

Batteries, batteries, batteries
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 04:04 PM

I was planning to buy an iPod in the future, when I came accross this fact. Mi iBook (blueberry) battery life went from almost 5 hours to a mere 40 minutes in a term of about 2-3 years. iPod runs on batteries also and I wondered what would happen if the iPod battery life decreased as much. Are the iPod batteries easily replaced?. I am not intended to buy a piece of hardware that will be "obsolete" because of battery life or that would require an expensive service (battery replacement) every year. Please don't tell me that batteries are "lithium-las-pelotas", please. My iBook's was of that kind.
Well, just something I thought this morning having a sower before going to work.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 04:13 PM

i've had one since the first moneth and noticed since the new firmware it went down a bit.

but nothing eye opening.

still lasts for 2 morning and 2 evening commutes a charge

and why didn't you name this thread "ipod batteries"
snappy

hayesk
Dec 4, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
I was planning to buy an iPod in the future, when I came accross this fact. Mi iBook (blueberry) battery life went from almost 5 hours to a mere 40 minutes in a term of about 2-3 years.
What kind of batteries to the iPod use? What kind of batteries does the blueberry iBook use?

If they are they same, you may have a legitimate concern - that is if there is no way to "recondition" those types of batteries.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 04:45 PM

I've had my iPod for a little over a year now, and it *seems* to me that its battery life is noticably less now than when it was new -- I haven't tried to quantify it, though.

I've seen suggestions on Apple's support forums that the newer firmware (with its clock function) is at least partially to blame, but who knows. All I can say is that my iPod is sooooo cool that I don't even care that I might have an expensive battery replacement coming up. Don't know how I ever lived without the thing.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 04:50 PM

According to Sony (the maker of the battery), it has an overall life of 500 hours. Of course, this is a kind of perfunctory statement. It will almost certainly last longer.
Using the iPod on battery kind of goes against the way we are used to dealing with most of our battery fed embedded processor tools. Most cell phones want the battery drained before recharging. Same with older laptops. The iPod wants to be "topped off" whenever it can be. This is recommended for maximum battery life (both Apple and Sony say recommend it).

Now. Changing the battery. Yes, it is possible. I've done it. Possible, but not easy. Opening the case without damaging it is VERY difficult. The innards are designed to be tough- the whole thing is put together with portablilty and the inevitable bumps and jostles. What this means is that it ain't so easy to disassemble because it is well packed.
So. If you're skittish, you send it in. If you're skilled with the fixin', DIY.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 04:50 PM

It's tough to know. But the original iBooks were Litium Ion while the iPod is a Lithium Polymer battery. It's supposed to be better.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 05:41 PM

Batteries don't last forever, they wear out. As I understand it the lithium ion kind are a big improvement. I don't know about lithium polymer.

maxelson, have I got this right - advice for lithium ploymer is to charge it whenever possible? ie, no need to drain/full-charge it periodically?
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Forum Links
Forum Rules