Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How often do you wear a suit?

View Poll Results: How often do you wear a suit?
Poll Options:
Daily (or almost) 5 votes (4.59%)
Frequently 14 votes (12.84%)
Only if special events require it 67 votes (61.47%)
I walk on this Earth free of ties! 23 votes (21.10%)
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll
How often do you wear a suit?
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 03:54 PM

Well, that's it. I wear a suit every day of the buisness week, exception made for some fridays in which we are allowed to go casual (it is some kind of casual costume, actually).
Wearing a suit now in winter is OK, but when the thermometer reaches about 30�C in summer, it is definitely a kind of torture (at least to me).

So, how about you?

DAMN!. I thought I was on the Lounge!. Please admins, move this post and excuse my mistake!
( Last edited by Nai no Kami; Jun 3, 2003 at 04:01 PM. )

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 04:00 PM

I wore a suit(tuxedo) when I got married. Before that I probably wore a suit for graduation(HS) or something. I don't even own a tie, I'm happy to say.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 04:43 PM

first let me say 'Lounge', 'Lounge', 'Lounge', but.
I only whare a suit if I am required or expected to. Big client coming to office= Suit day. going for a job interview= Suit day.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2003, 06:19 PM

How often do I wear suits? About as often as Steve Jobs does.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 06:38 PM

What in the name of Baby Jesus does this have to do with OSX?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 07:27 PM

I wear suits as often as possible.... o.O One of my useless talents in life is knowing how to wear a suit well.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 08:11 PM

Yep... this would be a lounge topic.

Unless it's a Pinguin suit (Linux Pinguin)... and it's about integrating the tie with Mac OS X's Keychain.

Only on special events. When I do, I do it right...

but I like casual personally. Comfortable, and less awkward socially. I don't think many feel at ease when dressed up. Comfortable clothing permis more socialization, and a more relaxed atmosphere.

Better to work, better for everything.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What in the name of Baby Jesus

hahaha... I just got in troble becuase I laughed out really loud at work... and I'm supposed to be working on a brochure/website.

thanks, thanks a lot

as for the suit thing, I have one, but I only wear it for final reviews of projects at school, maybe 3 times a year... wish I could wear it a bit more, but not daily.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 11:25 PM

no suits....no ties. i really do not like the concept at all. clothing should be comfortable....a neck-strangling restrictive tie is not my idea of comfortable
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
no suits....no ties. i really do not like the concept at all. clothing should be comfortable....a neck-strangling restrictive tie is not my idea of comfortable
I do have to wear a suit everyday to work, and although I'd prefer not to, I must say I don't find ties uncomfortable as such. Fairly pointless maybe, but not uncomfortable. As long as your shirt is not too tight round the neck, and you don't pull the tie too tight, I hardly notice I'm wearing it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 12:10 AM

I used to wear a suit every day. These days I rarely wear shoes!

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jun 4, 2003, 12:36 AM

Have never worn a suit. People in suits make me nervous. *shiver*

With the exception of these guys

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 12:57 AM

Suit? What is this suit you speak of?

tintub
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:50 AM

I wear whatever I like to to work. I wore a suit to my interview. At the moment I am wearing jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt, and some skate shoes that were falling apart a year ago. Oh yeah, I mostly surf the web, do the odd bit of coding, can walk in and out whenever I like, have no fixed hours, get to drink beer at my desk a couple of times a week (sometimes paid for by the company, sometimes not), and I get paid a shitload (comparatively speaking).

Cipher13
Jun 4, 2003, 08:01 AM

I wore one for my formal (prom)... and I'll think about wearing one on my wedding day.

That's about it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 08:05 AM

up until this time last year i used to wear a suit everyday when i was working in london.

now i am in the usa, in college, and my suit has not been worn since then.

i miss wearing a suit. suits are cool

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 08:08 AM

I love to wear a suit
I even do to go out... in nice places

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2003, 08:32 AM

I'm in my birthday suit every day.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
I love to wear a suit
Yep me too. Guess I dig the attention . Everybody knows me as the "suit-dude" . Now, I wear a suit almost everyday (oral exams at school, we even have to). mmm what shall I wear tommorow, a light suit (beige or something like that) or a black one with stripes ?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 11:38 AM

I used to wear a tie (and suit) in my early high-school years: when I think about it, it seems rather ridiculous indeed...

Anyway, my (female) mathematics prof. in the first biennium in "liceo" (Italian version of high school) openly praised me for that "classic" style: now, I wonder what repressed "pulsions" (not only sexual) she might have had...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

boardsurfer
Jun 4, 2003, 11:55 AM

I wear a suit every week (once). I dig it. I have this one that just fits so well, i love it.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
I love to wear a suit
I like wearing suits too, but I don't usually have an occasion.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 02:05 PM

I abhor ties, although I do own three. My wife bought me socks to match my three ties. Every time we have to go to an affair that requires more formal dress than jeans and a T-shirt or polo shirt with an EDA vendor logo on it, my wife picks out clothes for me that match whatever she's wearing.

I am a fashion misfit. Everything I own that I wear to work every day is kind of designed to be worn together, since I'm too brain dead to pick out clothes that match on my own. And it all goes with the "Tux the Penguin" hat. If they had Garanimals for adults, I'd be all over that!

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2003, 02:39 PM

i don't even own a suit so, um...never

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 03:15 PM

i wear a suit maybe 2 or 3 times a year. and even then i almost never wear a tie.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 04:27 PM

Job Interviews and extremely special occasions. I've had the same suit since 1997. It's been taken in since then because I lost so much weight. The jacket still fits and looks pretty good. It's a navy blue color. I've been foregoeing wearing the pants that came with the suit and I'll just throw on my navy colored dockers, dress shirt, tie. I have a neat little gold tie clip with "M" on it that I'll sometimes pop on ("M" being my initial).

I must make a confession though; I have many ties but they're all clip-ons I learned how to tie a "real" tie once, but I forgot.

I acquired most of my dressier clothes when I worked my first job in Graphics back between 1997 and 2001. They had something of a formal dress code (which was absurd since we never met with clients).

MikeM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 08:50 PM

Don't currently own a suit. Can't remember the last time that I wore a suit. Know that I wore them when I worked in the funeral business!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 4, 2003, 09:31 PM

I have about 7 different suits, all of which I wear randomly. Last year there was a 'blue jeans for babies' day at work;, they wanted you to donate 3 dollars and you could wear blue jeans instead of 'office casual'. Screw that. I wore a suit. My boss asked me "didnt you know it was casual day? It's blue jeans for babies'. I looked at her and said "I don't like babies." Heh. Anyway, I have a black one with pin stripes, a light grey one, a wool blue one with pinstripes, a light blue 60s one, a black one, and a few others, ALL OF WHICH I PURCHASED AT GOODWILL FOR ABOUT 10 DOLLARS. I love em. They suck to keep clean, but you look money, even though they cost you next to nothing. I usually wear a nice white shirt, italian shoes, and a nice belt.

Bond. James Bond. Hell jyeah!

- Rob

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 4, 2003, 09:36 PM

AND, I never wear ties. Partially because I go for the George Clooney mad style no tie look, and partially because I despise tying them.

- Rob

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 10:16 PM

About twice a year. Used to wear one daily, and my daughters kept buying me ties (I'm up to 75 now), but havent' worn one regularly in a couple of years.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 11:05 PM

Depends on your definition of suit (not another "depends on definition" post by Dogma!).

I like nice suits. I like comfy suits. I wear a suit - I feel good, I look good. I have the shoulders and the butt for a suit. Some people do not.

Grey pinstripe double breasted affair with stiffneck shirt, naff tie and gloosy black brogues is not a suit, it's a business uniform.

Depends on your tastes. If I get really rich and no longer have to worry too much about getting up, or ruining the "best" I'd get hundreds of well tailored suits, and wear them almost everyday. Of course I like slobby gear. But it's the two extremes. You gotta have balance.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Forum Links
Forum Rules