Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight reindexing question

Spotlight reindexing question
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2017, 12:24 PM

I'm on 10.11.6

I like to re-index two hardrives every few months.

I did the drag volume into privacy, add/ delete, but don't see any spotlight activity when I click on the magnifier icon in upper right menu bar, and also I don't see spotlight listed ( I can't fine it anyway) in activity monitor. Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 4, 2017, 01:41 PM

Add volume to Spotlight privacy, switch to another prefpane. Switch back to Spotlight/privacy, remove volume. I'm not sure it takes until you switch away from the Spotlight prefpane.

Indexing shows in Activity Monitor as "mds", "mds_stores", "mdworker". Most of those will be owned by root, so you have to set Activity Monitor to show All Processes.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2017, 08:43 PM

Reader thanks. md stores is in there now, but since i did not look before doing this, how can I know its indexing afresh the volumes I want? And what about upper right menulet? That really would show whats going on with indexing with progress bar.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 4, 2017, 10:29 PM

It's been a few OS versions since I've seen the Spotlight progress bar. It would be helpful, but Apple seems to have removed it.

You can check if the search index has been deleted by searching for something common. Such as in Mail. If it can't find squat, the index is deleted. If you can find stuff after the rebuild, then the index has been rebuilt.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2017, 12:37 AM

Thanks Reader, ok I searched for a term in an email from yesterday, and it came up in spotlight. Is that the best method in general to see it spotlight is Aok? If so then maybe I don't even need to reindex... Just do that test every few months?

P
Feb 7, 2017, 06:17 AM

You normally don't need to reindex regularly. Unless you have issues with files not being found, you don't need to reindex.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks P, well, I always have noticed things are not searching and I have to use Easyfind, so I made a quarterly schedule to reindex.

But I like that new trick. Just search for something in yesterdays Mail, apple mail, and then I'll know if that's needed? Right. There is no official way to now if you up to date.

Forum Links
Forum Rules