Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > UN-checking iPhoto's "copy items to the iPhoto Library" doesn't work - iPhoto make...

UN-checking iPhoto's "copy items to the iPhoto Library" doesn't work - iPhoto make...
Ham Sandwich
Jul 19, 2014, 01:52 PM

UN-checking iPhoto's "copy items to the iPhoto Library" doesn't work - iPhoto makes a copy anyway and my iPhoto library is huge!

GREETINGS - I am trying to clear hard drive space.

I saw that there is an option in iPhoto's preferences to UN-checking iPhoto's "copy items to the iPhoto Library" - so that my iPhoto library wouldn't be so huge.

Well I did that, then I dragged my folders (with pics inside) back into iPhoto from scratch.

Well guess what: my iPhoto library still has copies of my pictures in the iPhoto library even though I just told iPhoto NOT to do that.

I just wasted an hour of dragging my folders one-by-one from all over my hard drive and doing what the directions said online when I searched all over the internet; I didn't see anyone else having this problem.

How can I add my pictures to iPhoto and have the "copy items to the iPhoto Library" checkbox do what it says to do when I UN-check it so that I don't have duplicates of my pictures (and videos) taking up space on my hard drive??
This is extremely confusing

Thorzdad
Jul 22, 2014, 08:24 AM

That "Copy items to iPhoto library" toggle refers to any devices you connect to your Mac, like an iPhone. If it's checked, iPhoto will automatically grab any photos on the device and import them. If you un-check it, iPhoto will leave connected devices alone.

What you did, when you dragged folders full of photos into iPhoto, was specifically tell iPhoto to go ahead and import the images.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 22, 2014, 08:47 AM

So then what do I have to do to tell iPhoto to load my pictures into iPhoto ---- but not make a copy?

The checkbox description, as it stands, does not say anything about external devices. This is very misleading.

I don't need absurd number of gigabytes of my photos duplicated into my Pictures folder.

And if iPhoto can't do what I want, then... how do I sync all my photos (which are in a bunch of different folders) between my Mac and my iPod? I want to show people all my media on my iPod whenever I want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules