Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is the difference bewteen 128x64 and 64x64 RAM?

What is the difference bewteen 128x64 and 64x64 RAM?
shreddog
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 02:18 PM

I want to upgrade the RAM in my 12" PB 867 and I know I need PC2100 DDR Ram. On Fry's they have 2 different 1GB RAM modules. One is 128x64 and the other is 64x64 and I don't know which one I can use nor what the difference is bewteen them. The 128x64 is $60 more. Is it worth it?

Thanks.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

ibook_steve
Jan 23, 2005, 07:06 PM

They're both fine. The "128x64" probably has only 8 chips (higher density) while the "64x64" probably has 16 chips, 8 on front and back. Obviously, with more chips on the SO-DIMM, more power is used. But you should probably look at PC2700 (DDR333) DIMMs instead because you'll be able to use them if you get a faster machine. They'll just run at PC2100 (DDR266) in your machine. PC2100 would be a dead end for an upgrade.

Steve

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 07:48 PM

I didn't know that I could use PC2700. The maual only says PC2100.

Thanks!
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 08:11 PM

You can always use higher clocked RAM in a slower machine- despite what packaaging, websites, or store employees might tell you. It won't run at PC2700 but iBookSteve is right- if you do upgrade you would then have the ability to use the PC2700 and not need to buy another one.

One last advantage of using faster RAM is that as the older, slower RAM becomes less and less popular, it can actually cost more than an equivalently-sized faster RAM chip!

Ruahrc

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 11:24 PM

Man I'm glad I just read this. I just got back from Comp USA and the dude there told me that you couldn't. Even when I told him I was not worried about it not performing to the specs, but as long as it could be used in an upgraded powerbook. He told me that it would crash the system and could void me applecare. I swear them so called Apple experts at Comp USA are full of crap. I asked him today for some of the iclean. He told me they were out, but right behind on the edge of a display was a long rack of about 8 packages. He gave me the dirty when I asked him what was behind him.

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 11:33 PM

I wonder if Applecare is affected by the use of non-recommended RAM. Maybe he was right about that. It sounds like something that can be used as an excuse to void a warranty.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules