Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 dual 2.0 freeze and fans blowing at full blast

G5 dual 2.0 freeze and fans blowing at full blast
rogelio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 09:31 PM

I have a G5 chich is less than one year old. The problem of the freeze with the fans blowing at full speed has occurred daily since the beginning. fThe irst repair involved changing the video card. After a l coupe of weeks, the problem recurred. This time the logic board was changed as well as the processors. Again this worked for some time, and then the problem recurred. Again I was informed that the logic board and processors had to be changed. Has any one experienced a similar pproblem? Or do i have a lemon?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 03:22 AM

Welcome !

I have a B&W G3 that has problems since day one, it refuses to boot up in a while, this happened recently again, so my advise would be you talk to Apple aimed to get a new Power Mac, you have had enough issues with a single machine, be diplomatic and ask about it.

About the fans, it is normal once the G5 freezes, it is a safety measure to prevent over heating.

Good luck !

Eugene Fields
Aug 25, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by rogelio:
I have a G5 chich is less than one year old. The problem of the freeze with the fans blowing at full speed has occurred daily since the beginning. fThe irst repair involved changing the video card. After a l coupe of weeks, the problem recurred. This time the logic board was changed as well as the processors. Again this worked for some time, and then the problem recurred. Again I was informed that the logic board and processors had to be changed. Has any one experienced a similar pproblem? Or do i have a lemon?
Buddy LEYMONE yeah definite..get replaced ASAP
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

Matt2Dope
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 02:23 AM

it could be that both of you have christines if ya know what i mean...

buells1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 02:55 AM

I hope that I am making a little progress with the freeze problem that I have encountered. I ran Tech Tool Pro 4 from the boot disk and so far, so good. I will try to let the group know if this solves the problem. I have noticed that after a crash, the apple logo has a single line drawn through it on reboot. I'm not sure that it is not the video card (GeForce FX 5200).
I have an iMac 24" 3.06 ghz.core duo Visit
my page at: http://www.angelfire.com/moon2/kenny_brett

idyll
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 02:41 PM

I have had the same problem with my dual 1.8. I think either of these things may have solved it:

Reformatting and not updating to 10.3.5.
Reformatting and not updating to 10.3.5 or installing any other updates (i.e. Airport updates).
Reformatting and not installing any of the extra applications (i.e. Art Director's Tool Kit) - just the OS and base apps.
Repairing permissions.
Disconnecting a usb hub and connecting any usb devices directly into the Mac.
Reseating the memory.
Taking out the Apple memory and only leaving in the memory I bought from Crucial - maybe it is better not to mix memory brands in this case?

I ran the hardware test and it said everything is ok. My 1.6 G5 never crashed but my dual 1.8 G5 has been crashing since day one. I received it last week and have done the things mentioned above and it hasn't crashed for the past two or so days. We'll see how it goes.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 02:43 PM

Also, since I have an nVidia card I moved all of the ATI drivers in the Library into a different folder (or deleting them) just in case - I have heard of other G5 owners fixing their problems this way. It may be quartz extreme that's locking it up..

buells1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 02:00 AM

]I hope that I am making a little progress with the freeze problem that I have encountered. I ran Tech Tool Pro 4 from the boot disk and so far, so good. I will try to let the group know if this solves the problem.

I have no more problems since I booted TechTool Pro 4 from the cd drive and ran 'Suite 2'.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 03:29 PM

I've been noticing ALOT of freezes since I installed 10.3.5 on my G5 2.0 Rev. B when I never saw a freeze before. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

buells1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2004, 01:37 AM

I've been noticing ALOT of freezes since I installed 10.3.5 on my G5 2.0 Rev. B when I never saw a freeze before. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Have you tried my solution? The booting of TechTool Pro 4 from the cd drive (it takes FOREVER) and then running 'Suite 2' really did cure my problems and I am running 10.3.5. Please let me know if you try it and the outcome. There is a place in 'Suite 2' that asks if you want to correct the problems, to which you must answer 'yes'.

Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 01:57 AM

I'll give a try this week and post back with the results.
Thanks!

Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 10:18 AM

We have one dud G5 dual 2 in the lab at my university..its been doing the freeze full blast fan thing since it arrived about a year ago..there has been alot of time invested in fixing this thing and here we are a year later and its still doing it...its barely been used all year, what a waste.

..I'd do my best to get that thing replaced the the frustration you've had to put up with for the past year is unwarranted.

I don't know if they'll be very accomodating but you got a lemon at some point (before your warranty expires) someone ought to own up to it.

macmicke
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 08:47 AM

You are not alone.... I have had the same problem with my machine.... Somehow I think it must be related to heat. I have had two disk failiures, one resulting in a crash with the disk unsavable, along with my data... The other started acting up and i got it replaced before crash thanx to S.M.A.R.T reporting...
I am going to try changing my maxtor disks, beacuse the generate a lot of heat, to another brand. I have changed memory... Still the same....
If you find a solution please tell...

MacMicke
The real MacMicke�

buells1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by macmicke:
[B]You are not alone.... I have had the same problem with my machine....

I have a url here that you will find MOST helpful: http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=243

We have made much progress in the last week on this problem. Also let me say that there is a software problem with MacOS 10.3.5 and that Hardware Monitor was adding to the problem. There is an update for Hardware Monitor for those using 10.3.5.

macmicke
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:45 AM

I have received two new disks. Hitachi SATA 250. And im goin to try changing the graphicscard... There is a lot of heat in the area around the graphics card placed right above the processors..

I will report back after the changes..
The real MacMicke�

Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:49 AM

Apple fixed my problem. It turned out that the logic board was hosed and needed to be replaced. The turn around was 3 days! Amazing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules