Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "kill bill vol1" will not play on my mac

"kill bill vol1" will not play on my mac
darrick
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 10:29 AM

i have a powerbook, a G4 tibook 667mhz running 10.3.2, and i have tried the apple dvd player and VLC and it won't play.

(i'm not trying to copy it or anything, just play it -- i haven't bought a player for the tv).

any ideas? is this some sort of security thing? is it just a bad disk, maybe? is there a setting, a command, an app that will help?

ntsc
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 11:03 AM

must be a bad disk or something cos i've got it and it plays fine.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 11:19 AM

thank you. i haven't had trouble playing anything before, so that seemed most likely, but thought maybe there was something (else) i did not know about.

got the receipt, so i'll exchange it.

thanks.

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 11:28 AM

oh, and making the bad copy thing still more likely: in the finder, the dvd is shown to have just two folders: "AUDIO_TS" (which appears empty) and "VIDEO_TS" (which has 24 files with extensions like .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB). whereas, in the "animatrix" dvd, there's a "AUDIO_TS" folder and loads more folders and files.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 3, 2004, 01:54 PM

No problems with my copy so far.
The only DVD�s that tend to make problems are double sided DVD�s like Emergency Room. They play fine for the most time-but sometimes get stuck during an episode.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by darrick:
i have a powerbook, a G4 tibook 667mhz running 10.3.2, and i have tried the apple dvd player and VLC and it won't play.

(i'm not trying to copy it or anything, just play it -- i haven't bought a player for the tv).

any ideas? is this some sort of security thing? is it just a bad disk, maybe? is there a setting, a command, an app that will help?
Played the whole movie on mine without problems...

cnelson87
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 06:06 PM

The VIDEO_TS folder is the only one that HAS to be there for it to play. And the AUDIO_TS folder is (I think) part of the DVD spec but not essential. Everything else (as in The Animatrix) is just extra fluff.

Originally posted by darrick:
oh, and making the bad copy thing still more likely: in the finder, the dvd is shown to have just two folders: "AUDIO_TS" (which appears empty) and "VIDEO_TS" (which has 24 files with extensions like .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB). whereas, in the "animatrix" dvd, there's a "AUDIO_TS" folder and loads more folders and files.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by cnelson87:
The VIDEO_TS folder is the only one that HAS to be there for it to play. And the AUDIO_TS folder is (I think) part of the DVD spec but not essential. Everything else (as in The Animatrix) is just extra fluff.
What he said...

I would look into exchanging the copy. Most stores let you trade a bad copy of a movie for 1 of the same.

-Owl

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 01:09 AM

Did you try VLC to check if it's not just Apple DVD Player?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Did you try VLC to check if it's not just Apple DVD Player?
"i have tried the apple dvd player and VLC and it won't play."

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 4, 2004, 07:11 AM

Kill Bill doesn't play on my Mac if it makes you feel any better. But then again, I don't have any DVDs that don't regularly lock up DVD Player. I think I've got a bad combo drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules