Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW Latest Patch (1.30)

WoW Latest Patch (1.30)
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 12:29 PM

Anyone having trouble patching the game?

I downloaded the update, clicked patch...the progress bar went almost all the way to the end, but right before the end it reports an error.

I tried this a few times with the same result. Now if the whole install is corrupt, I'm in deep doodoo because my combo-drive is pretty much dying. Reinstalling WoW is not an option anymore.

I'll only know for sure if the patch is installed correctly or not when the servers are back online at 2:00PM eastern.

edit: after a couple more minutes look at the problem, the problem is almost certainly a bad sector on the hard drive that simply can't be read or be written to. I think it's time I buy a new hard drive. ...and DVD/CD whatever drive... If only Apple had come out with speed-bumped G5s sooner.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Mar 22, 2005 at 12:43 PM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 01:11 PM

I was able to patch successfully. I have heard people have the problem you describe with several previous patches. I would chalk it up to bit-rot.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I was able to patch successfully. I have heard people have the problem you describe with several previous patches. I would chalk it up to bit-rot.
Well I narrowed it down...the file Patch.mpq is sitting on the bad sector...I can't duplicate the file or move it to any other hard drive partition. It's the only file that didn't make the move. If there's a kind soul that could send me that file before upgrading, it'd be appreciated.

AIM name: r3ntedmule

Don't know if that'll solve the problem but it can't make it worse. I can't really break something that's already broken.

I also tried removing Patch.mpq to see if it would treat WoW as if it was a fresh newly installed copy so I could download all the patches again but WoW would simply crash.

I'd rather not have to download the entire WoW when all I need is one file.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Mar 22, 2005 at 01:25 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 03:37 PM

In a desperate move, since nobody is willing to help me (see if I'll ever help anyone here again ), I am transferring Patch.mpq from my PC laptop to my Mac via my home network. It'll probably work...I can't imagine any of the .mpqs being modified to be platform specific so I think I'll be fine. I'll report back if it works...though I doubt anyone cares.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 04:16 PM

It woyked! So long suckahs. See ya in another 3 months.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 10:11 PM

Damned WoW is disconnecting like a sonuvabich.. much worse today than before. Probably from the patch.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Damned WoW is disconnecting like a sonuvabich.. much worse today than before. Probably from the patch.
Yeah my server's been not showing up for the past 6 hours now...server list on worldofwarcraft.net shows it as being up but it sure as hell ain't.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Mar 22, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Yeah my server's been not showing up for the past 6 hours now...server list on worldofwarcraft.com shows it as being up but it sure as hell ain't.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Yeah my server's been not showing up for the past 6 hours now...server list on worldofwarcraft.com shows it as being up but it sure as hell ain't.
Well... it is... kinda. I've been able to get on Whisperwind twice, once for 20min and again for 10 (with bad lag each time). However, I've had to try logging on 50+ times. I think the servers are just being strained to death. Damn, you'd think Blizzard's making enough $ to do some upgrades.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ndtechie05
Mar 23, 2005, 12:32 AM

everything is very buggy right now. i can't even log in, it says can not connect
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

benb
Mar 23, 2005, 12:40 AM

Welcome to patch day everyone! I mean, the three of you that can actually log in. . .

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 01:01 AM

I've been on for about an hour now. half of it was configuring two of my characters action buttons with blizzards new built in setup. The other half has been messing with video options.

Anisotropic filtering is now enabled within the game settings. No need for ATI users to use ATI Displays and now NVIDIA users can see what all the hubbub is about!

Fullscreen glow now renders things at the proper resolution. Before, 1600x1200 looked like it was rendering at 800x600. However, there's now a big performance drop when it enabled. In one instance, I saw almost a 20 fps difference but that was an extreme. The performance penalty seems to scale with the resolution. Everything looks different though. Colors seem more vibrant. But because of the performance penalty I'll be playing with them off once again. I have been playing with them on for the last couple of months (since 10.3.8 came out).

I haven't noticed if the reverb in the audio has been added yet, since I've been doing a lot of flying around.

redJag
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 02:12 AM

Well I realize there are problems with most servers but me and a friend just finished duoing SFK and I just logged out after ~3 hours of play. Chat bubbles were disabled shortly after seeing them The new action bars I dunno about cuz the one I had before showed my shift+2 action bar above my main bar, and I liked that. Blizzard's is shift+6 above the main bar and shift+2 on the right side. Ah well, good luck getting back to your addiction, all!
Travis Sanderson

videian28
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by a2daj:
I've been on for about an hour now. half of it was configuring two of my characters action buttons with blizzards new built in setup. The other half has been messing with video options.

Anisotropic filtering is now enabled within the game settings. No need for ATI users to use ATI Displays and now NVIDIA users can see what all the hubbub is about!

Fullscreen glow now renders things at the proper resolution. Before, 1600x1200 looked like it was rendering at 800x600. However, there's now a big performance drop when it enabled. In one instance, I saw almost a 20 fps difference but that was an extreme. The performance penalty seems to scale with the resolution. Everything looks different though. Colors seem more vibrant. But because of the performance penalty I'll be playing with them off once again. I have been playing with them on for the last couple of months (since 10.3.8 came out).

I haven't noticed if the reverb in the audio has been added yet, since I've been doing a lot of flying around.

I run at full max everything on a 20" widescreen, performance has gotten worse after this patch, the bloom effect actually looks very good now, but like you I took a 10-15 FPS hit, and my FPS are to low already (for my system)

they really need to do some serious optimization, my system should freakin fly in this game

was reverb supposed to be added this patch?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
I run at full max everything on a 20" widescreen, performance has gotten worse after this patch, the bloom effect actually looks very good now, but like you I took a 10-15 FPS hit, and my FPS are to low already (for my system)

they really need to do some serious optimization, my system should freakin fly in this game

was reverb supposed to be added this patch?
The FSG is the big performance drop with this patch because of that I mentioned about things being properly rendered at whatever resolution you're running. So the higher the resolution, the bigger the performance drop with FSG enabled.

However, FSAA is now working.
From the official WoW boards:

"Another fun feature in 1.3 to check out is multisampling/FSAA support, you can turn it on by adding a line like this:

gxMultisample 2

to your config.wtf.

Values of 2, 4, 6, 8 are supported - not all hardware can do all values though. Quit and relaunch for it to take effect.

Sorry there is no GUI for this option yet."

I tested it out and it works noticeably better than using ATI Displays. There's no screen artifacts when entering buildings. It even works with FSG.

I haven't heard anything specific about when reverb will be added. I was hoping it'd be one of the stealth additions, like the improved graphics quality with this release.

I have noticed that it seems the character textures are improved a bit. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention before but everything on my characters seems a little sharper.

videian28
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 12:17 PM

I agree about the FSG, but damn, there is no other money I can spend to make this thing any faster, and frankly I am kinda dissapointed

maybe I will sell my 12" PB and get a cheap ass PC to run WoW better =/

(I won't but I am not happy)

videian28
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 12:12 PM

I enabled full screen bloom last night and took my farclip down 2 notches, the game looks great, but FPS still are crappy for the equipment I am running =/

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
However, FSAA is now working.
From the official WoW boards:

"Another fun feature in 1.3 to check out is multisampling/FSAA support, you can turn it on by adding a line like this:

gxMultisample 2

to your config.wtf.

Values of 2, 4, 6, 8 are supported - not all hardware can do all values though. Quit and relaunch for it to take effect.
Oooh, nice! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to need to try this tonight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules