Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Recommendable Safari Build!

Recommendable Safari Build!
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 12, 2006, 06:16 PM

http://nightly.webkit.org/builds/WebKit-SVN-r14819.dmg

Grab it! This build has been the fastest, most-stable, leak-free, crazy-input-text-bug-free build I've seen in months.

You won't be disappointed...no matter what I threw at it, the app just kept chugging along.

gmail works perfectly...AJAX-heavy sites seem to work perfectly...CSS3 is looking good (much better than in the Safari builds included with the 10.4 point releases)...SVG is coming along nicely too.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 08:10 PM

Checking it out now.

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

Sorry to be so thick, but now that I've downloaded it, how do I use it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2006, 12:51 AM

You just launch it instead of the regular Safari. You can make it the default browser if you please. Thank you for the heads up, HP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2006, 09:29 AM

I don't know what your experience has been with this build so far but, for me, Safari has been up since yesterday morning. I've been using it pretty heavily since yesterday and it still hasn't crashed yet.

For a dev build, this has been the most solid build so far.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 01:39 PM

I've tried the nightlies before, and was attracted to this when you said gmail worked properly, but, alas, it doesn't even launch on my computer.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2006, 01:53 PM

The nightlies started crashing on me upon launch back in mid-May. Around that time they stopped playing nicely with the the Safari plug-ins I use (AcidSearch, Safari Plus, and Safari Block). The good news is that if I disable those plug-ins then WebKit runs fine. The bad news is that I've really grown accustomed to those plug-ins (and the standard autofill feature). So I tend not to use WebKit on a regular basis because I don't want to give up that functionality and haven't run across many sites where I notice an appreciable difference between Safari and WebKit.

OAW

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
The nightlies started crashing on me upon launch back in mid-May. Around that time they stopped playing nicely with the the Safari plug-ins I use (AcidSearch, Safari Plus, and Safari Block). The good news is that if I disable those plug-ins then WebKit runs fine. The bad news is that I've really grown accustomed to those plug-ins (and the standard autofill feature). So I tend not to use WebKit on a regular basis because I don't want to give up that functionality and haven't run across many sites where I notice an appreciable difference between Safari and WebKit.

OAW
Same here. Hoping AcidSearch gets an update.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You just launch it instead of the regular Safari.
Thank you for the explanation!

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
http://nightly.webkit.org/builds/WebKit-SVN-r14819.dmg

Grab it! This build has been the fastest, most-stable, leak-free, crazy-input-text-bug-free build I've seen in months.

You won't be disappointed...no matter what I threw at it, the app just kept chugging along.

gmail works perfectly...AJAX-heavy sites seem to work perfectly...CSS3 is looking good (much better than in the Safari builds included with the 10.4 point releases)...SVG is coming along nicely too.
Thanks for this reminder. I hadn't been using those builds since last year. [ Not sure it'll work for wife who's still on Panther ]

I'll test drive latest Webkit for a while. Unfortunately, the first thing I notice is that animated gifs ("smilies" here) still make me frown by sukking up cpu.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 12:49 PM

Wow have you seen the web inspector ? Right click on a link and choose inspect element... could be useful for webdesigners...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kovacs
Wow have you seen the web inspector ? Right click on a link and choose inspect element... could be useful for webdesigners...
Yep, it's been around for awhile...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ight=inspector

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 06:02 AM

Yes, it's fast. But mine still crashes upon right-click (actually: cntl-click) on a link.
Anybody else experience this, as I have for months with Safari?

This is with About saying "Version 2.0.3 (417.8) in a build from a few days ago.

???
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules