Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PCSX - Coming to a Mac Nea...Coming to *your* Mac

PCSX - Coming to a Mac Nea...Coming to *your* Mac (Page 2)
Forte
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
That's an OS bug. It affects anything using OpenGL.
Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

IamBob
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 11:34 PM

I tried Spyro (my kid's fav.) and it crashed. I got to play for a little first but every time it had to read from the CD the game would freeze up while the disc spun up - though the crash was unrelated, I think. Wonder if there isn't something that could be done about that.

Anyway, it looks like a good start. I'll probably be donating.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2005, 01:08 PM

I tried Ridge Racer Type 4. There is no music during races, which I suspect is related to the CD audio problems, but gameplay is perfect. It even works better than CVGS, as I can actually save games to memory cards, which never worked before.

Fix the cd audio problem, and life will be perfect for me.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2005, 01:30 AM

FF8 and RE2 didn't work here.

P
Jan 21, 2005, 01:38 PM

Chrno Cross seems to work, but restoring savegames doesn't, and it takes a bit too long to play through in one sitting...

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by P:
Chrno Cross seems to work, but restoring savegames doesn't, and it takes a bit too long to play through in one sitting...
nonsense! where is your dedication?

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 06:32 PM

just don't turn it off. Ever.

and don't die, or mess up in any other way.

like playing D2 in hardcore mode, only instead of worrying that lag will kill you, you'll worry about a power outage...

dajk
Feb 3, 2005, 10:54 AM

Meh, FF7 is quite crappy in battle mode.
Symptons are:
-Slooooowww
-Battle Menu doesnt work quite right
-Slow.

I'm really waiting for a new release!

Forte
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 10:41 PM

I'm waiting for a new release, too - there's a couple of games I've tried since that don't quite run right. Overall, I'm very impressed, though.

I've been submitting stuff to the compatibility list here - http://mac-psx.hansr.net/ - to pass the time 'til the next release, incidentally. ^^;;

Daedalus17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Maneki Neko:
It uses a PowerPC with some extensions.

The graphics chip wasn't designed by ATI, but by a company that ATI purchased after Nintendo had selected the chip, so that ATI could have their name associated with a console, like Nvidia did with the XBox.

In terms of the architecture of the chip, it's not like anything else ATI has.
Actually the XBOX uses the NV2A GPU which is a custom version of the GeForce2/3 that infact was designed by nVidia.

P
Feb 13, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Daedalus17:
Actually the XBOX uses the NV2A GPU which is a custom version of the GeForce2/3 that infact was designed by nVidia.
You know, if you dig up old posts way back in the thread and respond, you likely ought to read back what he was talking about... He was talking about the Gamecube, which does indeed use a special graphics chips designed by Art-X, which was later bought by ATi.

Forte
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by P:
You know, if you dig up old posts way back in the thread and respond, you likely ought to read back what he was talking about... He was talking about the Gamecube, which does indeed use a special graphics chips designed by Art-X, which was later bought by ATi.
And if you read the post you replied to, you'll see that an apparent claim was made (it might not be at all, but the wording certainly makes it look like it is) that nVidia bought up the product of another company so their name could appear on the XBox;
so that ATI could have their name associated with a console, like Nvidia did with the XBox.
This was the part that Daedalus17 was responding to.

Daedalus17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Forte:
And if you read the post you replied to, you'll see that an apparent claim was made (it might not be at all, but the wording certainly makes it look like it is) that nVidia bought up the product of another company so their name could appear on the XBox;

Thanks Forte for defending me. It's nice to see that someone understood what I was saying.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 10:46 PM

God damn this emu is good. It's so much better than any other PSX emu I've seen on OSX, hopefully it will be kept updated unlike a lot of seemingly promising.

P
Feb 14, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Forte:

Ah, that makes some sense. My bad. I didn't read Maneki Neko's post that way - I'm used to seeing strange wordings in forums, since many posters have english as a second language, so I didn't register the implied claim that nVidia didn't design the Xbox GPU, and I still doubt that the poster intended to claim that.

Whatever, let's not split hairs. Art-X made the Gamecube GPU and was bought by ATi, who put that design team to work on the first Radeon. nVidia bought a lot of companies, including 3dfx, but did not secure the contract for the Xbox GPU until after that.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by P:
Whatever, let's not split hairs. Art-X made the Gamecube GPU and was bought by ATi, who put that design team to work on the first Radeon. nVidia bought a lot of companies, including 3dfx, but did not secure the contract for the Xbox GPU until after that.
Hey someone remembered!

Funny thing is now it appears that nVidia is left in the cold in terms of next-generation console GPUs.

Now, if we could just get all the consoles and Apple to adopt the "Cell" chip we'd be in emulation heaven
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules