Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Will someone offer me a lesson in photography?

Will someone offer me a lesson in photography?
urban
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 12:29 PM

I just purchased my Canon s400 and I read through the manual and I still don't understand some of the terms and how/when to use some features. For example:
Exposure Compensation
Light Metering Modes
White Balance
ISO speed
Flash Exposure Setting

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would enlighten me as to under what conditions I should be using what when.

THank you !!!
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

brianb
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 05:29 PM

Exposure Compensation
Light Metering Modes
White Balance
ISO speed
Flash Exposure Setting

First off if you are using the Canon Automatic modes. (Sports, Portriat, landscape, Macro, ect..) These will not mean anything to the way that you take your pictures. In Manual Mode they do.

Exposure Compensation.

Basically this is a way to add or subtract light from your pictures. (Over/Under Expose). The camera is going to give you a light meter reading. Something like 1/125 second at f4. That is what the camera thinks the film (digital pic) should be exposed at. But lets say the face of the person you are taking a picture of is in a shadow. You might want to add some light (over expose) Exposure Comp is a quick way to add/subtract small amounts of light to the picture.

Light Metering Modes

Canon ussually uses 3 metering modes. Spot metering, Center Weighted and one other that I can't think of. Basically what this does is sets the camera to look at the light diffrent ways so that if there is a really bright spot in the center of the image that the camera won't use that area to meter the light and make the rest of the picture under exposed

White Balance

This is a term that actually comes from the video side of the world. In it's simpliest form is that light is measured in degrees Kelvin. A ny day has a higher temp (around 5200 degrees kelvin or higher) a cloudy day has a lower temp around 3200 degrees. With the temperture change white looks diffrent (more orange under higer temps and more blue under lower temps) so you set a white balance to your scene you are shooting so white is the proper color (or lack there of technically) and all other colors are based off that white balance.

ISO Speed

Same as film speed iso 100, 200, 400, 800, ect..

Flash Exposure setings

same as exposure compenstaion but on level more as it includes variables for the on camera flash.

if you want more answers feel free to ask

Brian
[email protected]

urban  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 12:01 PM

Thank you SO MCUH !!!
thank you thank you !!!
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 12:39 AM

Just for a little clarification, for ISO you generally use a low # in good light situations (studio work, etc...) and high #'s for low light ones. The higher the number (in standard photography) the faster light is absorbed by the film. However, high ISO generally equals granier picture.

brianb
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2004, 12:18 AM

yea I didn't elaborate to much on that but I figured most people know what film speed is at least
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

egg
Aug 2, 2004, 06:00 AM

check the forum here for more information than you'll ever need! :-)

http://www.dpreview.com/

york28
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 01:15 PM

Also, check out photo.net - a great site with tons of information.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2004, 09:09 PM

This is a term that actually comes from the video side of the world. In it's simpliest form is that light is measured in degrees Kelvin. A ny day has a higher temp (around 5200 degrees kelvin or higher) a cloudy day has a lower temp around 3200 degrees. With the temperture change white looks diffrent (more orange under higer temps and more blue under lower temps) so you set a white balance to your scene you are shooting so white is the proper color (or lack there of technically) and all other colors are based off that white balance.

Cool! Do you mean white is picked up differently depending on the temperature or do you mean white actually looks different (to us) depending on the temperature?
Im guessing this could be due to the density of air which would fluctuate with temperature changes.
I know its off topic, it just seems interesting.

brianb
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2004, 09:39 AM

White under different degrees Kelvin does change but our eyes compensate for that change. You may notice that if you go from a inside room to the outdoors that you can notice a slight color change for a couple seconds as your eyes adjust. For me I work on Television crews and after running a handheld with my eye in the view finder for a couple hours when I stop everything will seem green for a few minutes as my brain readjusts to the normal lighting situation. The electronics don't know any better they just know that white is R=255, G=255, B=255. If the light is orange because of the lightwaves traveling through particulate in the air then the camera will see that white as orange unless you tell it otherwise. On high end cameras there is also something called Black Balance that resets Black values also
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

Forum Links
Forum Rules