Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hi, I want to gain deeper knowledge of OSX, which course should I take?

Hi, I want to gain deeper knowledge of OSX, which course should I take?
urban
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 12:09 AM

CCTC-404
course name: LINUX SYSTEM OVERVIEW
description: Linux is a free Unix-like operating system that has great technical merit and stability. It is now recognized as a serious competitor for Microsoft Windows NT in both the enterprise and home markets. Learn how to acquire, set up and configure Linux in both the single user and network modes. You will explore some of the more popular commands, learn how to install DHCP and TCP/IP, create group/user accounts and set permissions. You will also have the opportunity to install and configure the system for e-mail, FTP, telnet, and as a Web server.

CCTC-430
course name: FUNDAMENTALS OF UNIX
description: Sponsored by Sun Microsystems. This course teaches students how to use UNIX operating system commands and, in the hands-on exercises, basic Sun Microsystems� SolarisTM operating environment commands, and introduces you to the Common Desktop Environment (CDE - graphical interface between different environments). The class is intended for new users of UNIX. Learn fundamental command-line features of the SolarisTM environment, including file system navigation, file permissions, the vi text editor, command shells and basic network use. CDE features include standard desktop tools, text editor, printing and mail.

CEMC-971
course name: INTRODUCTION TO UNIX/LINUX
description: This course provides a hands-on introduction to UNIX/Linux. Examine what UNIX is and why UNIX and the Linux variant have become such important operating systems. Learn to manipulate files, navigate the file system, and construct basic commands using command line options and arguments. Also examine and run some important GNU utilities. A general session on local and remote communications utilities and systems administration is also included.

CETE-119
course name: LINUX
description: Learn the essential UNIX commands and systems requirements of Linux. Look at various installation (CD, Network, among others) and configuration methods. Learn about accessing system resources (printers); creating and deleting accounts; X window; internet access; and security considerations. You will also look at common problems and solutions to assist you in your daily work with Linux.

What will I be able to do in OSX after taking a course like the ones above? Thanks
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 04:44 AM

None of them. Linux is not Mac OS X. The best of those would probably be the Fundamentals of Unix one, but it looks like it's a Solaris based course, and I think Solaris is System V Unix. And there's no point learning to use the CDE at all.

Basically, long ago Unix split into two 'flavours' - System V (as in '5'), and BSD. Mac OS X is BSD. So there is a crossover, but the specifics would be different, and you might end up confused why things don't work the same.

Better option is to hit the O'Reilly website or bookshelf and read their Mac and Unix offerings. 'Essential System Administration' is something of a Unix classic, and 'Mac OS X for Unix Geeks' will help translate some of that across to Mac OS X. Mac OS X in a nutshell is a very through and concise guide to the Unix side of the Mac, but its not a tutorial book.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 01:31 PM

Plus, if they're all just fundamentals like how to use the command line and such, you'd probably do better to save yourself the money and spend an afternoon learning how to do it on your own, or asking a knowledgeable friend for some help. Honestly, you shouldn't have to pay to learn how to use the CDE or the command line.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

urban  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks for saving me hundreds of dollars !!
If you don't mind, I just want to ask one more quesetion:
which of these two books is more apprpriate for a Unix noobie??
MAC OS X TIGER FOR UNIX GEEKS or LEARNING UNIX FOR MAC OS X TIGER

Thanks !
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 01:46 PM

Learning Unix for Mac OS X Tiger sounds more appropriate.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 03:20 AM

I would have to agree. The first book is aimed for people that are coming from a UNIX background that want to use Tiger. It shows them how to take advantage of the features that they already know about and how to get used to Tiger. The second one is aimed at someone such as yourself: the type that has Tigerand wants to learn how to take advantage of the UNIX underpinnings in the OS.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules