Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > burning vobs in os X

burning vobs in os X
mcgarry101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 04:05 PM

hi all,

I posted in another forum about this problem, but after further investigation I think it may be that as a noob I just know how to use the features of OS X.

Basically, I am using a windows program called DVD shrink to de encrypt my dvds. This process is working fine, however when I insert a blank DVD and copy the resulting .vobs onto disk in osx the disk wont play on my macbook dvd player. Is there some particular burning movies (in their .vob format) onto DVD?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 05:11 PM

video DVDs require a specific burn format.

Toast will do this, as will Nero on Windows.

Toast will also shrink DVDs down, though you will need something like MactheRipper (free) to de-encrypt your commercial DVDs in order to back them up.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcgarry101 View Post
hi all,

I posted in another forum about this problem, but after further investigation I think it may be that as a noob I just know how to use the features of OS X.

Basically, I am using a windows program called DVD shrink to de encrypt my dvds. This process is working fine, however when I insert a blank DVD and copy the resulting .vobs onto disk in osx the disk wont play on my macbook dvd player. Is there some particular burning movies (in their .vob format) onto DVD?
You really shouldn't go posting the same question in multiple forums, noob or not.

As I wrote in your other thread, once you rip the DVD to file, you need another program (popcorn, toast, dvd2onex, etc.) to reburn the file to a single/double layer DVD.

Look at the forums on RipDifferent.com to get familiar with the programs and which one will work best for you.

Edit: this same problem (burn just the .vob) exists in Windows as well....it's just that dvd shrink handles both ripping and compressing in a single application, right?

alain_30_alain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 11:15 PM

Man, I got the same problem today that I just figured out... I ripped two DVDs with MacTheRipper and I burned by right click "Create New Burn Folder" to create a burn folder and I burned those two DVDs this way and then I wanted to see if everything was ok but I didn't played in Apple DVD Player but it played on my Playstation 2.

I was thinking to buy a DVD program soon. Should I get Roxio Toast 8 Titanium, is it a good program?
And also I read a little bit about Blu-Ray Discs... If a buy a Blu-Ray movie can I play it on my MacBook Pro's Superdrive?

Thanks in advance for helping mee!
alain.
 MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 05:57 AM

Actually, I believe DVD Imager will also create a burnable DVD image from a VIDEO_TS folder full of .vob files.

You can just burn that image with Disk Utility, meaning that all apps you need - MactheRipper and DVD Imager and Disk Utility - are free.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Actually, I believe DVD Imager will also create a burnable DVD image from a VIDEO_TS folder full of .vob files.

You can just burn that image with Disk Utility, meaning that all apps you need - MactheRipper and DVD Imager and Disk Utility - are free.
If you use DL DVD's. You still need an application to compress the rip file to a SL DVD.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by alain_30_alain View Post
I was thinking to buy a DVD program soon. Should I get Roxio Toast 8 Titanium, is it a good program?
And also I read a little bit about Blu-Ray Discs... If a buy a Blu-Ray movie can I play it on my MacBook Pro's Superdrive?
Check out the forums at RipDifferent.com for in depth reviews of available programs. I use Popcorn...it's OK, but many others like DTOX because it gives you more control over zero cell .vobs, which by the way, the final version of MacTheRipper will supposedly remove automactically.

Forum Links
Forum Rules