Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app Rules Difficulty

Mail.app Rules Difficulty
Johnny Dangerously
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 02:49 PM

Hi, all.

I'm trying to make a folder in Mail.app that will automatically get populated with messages over 90 days old. I know I can create a Smart Folder to do this, but I want the messages moved there, instead of remaining in their respective folders (i.e. "Receipts," "eBay," "Family," etc.). So I created a standard folder and a rule (via the Preferences) to send all messages with a Date Received of 90+ days old to that folder. Upon creating (or modifying) the rule, Mail asks if I want the rule applied now, and I click "Yes," but none of the messages are moved. What am I doing wrong here?

I just now found the "Apply Rules" item under the "Message" menu, but do I have to do this every time? WTF? Is there any way around this, so I can have a fully automatic "90 Days Old" folder?

Thanks in advance!
"Johnny Dangerously"
Your resident fargin' icehole!

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 03:21 PM

Mail in 10.4 will do this using a "smart mailbox."

Rules are only applied to incoming mail, not mail that's been sitting around for a few months.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 03:43 PM

So that makes it difficult to move mail that has been there for 90 days? I guess you could move all of it, and have a 'smart inbox' that contained only mail less than 90 days old.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 04:12 PM

Make your other mailboxes smart (use tags or something) and add the option for only mail newer than 90 days to them.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 05:24 PM

You could go down the route of having a recurring event in iCal (or crontab) which triggered a script. As the earlier posted mentioned, rules are only triggered when a message arrives.

You could make a smart folder that contained messages that are older than 90 days and not in the 'archived 90+ days' folder (or what ever it's called.) - the script could move all messages in that smart folder to the archive folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules