Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't install Snow Leopard on to external drives?

Can't install Snow Leopard on to external drives?
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2011, 05:15 AM

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (6,1) and an external FW 800 drive (iomega eGo)

When I attempt to install Snow Leopard onto the drive it fails - the first phase works, where the initial batch of files are copied onto the drive (into a folder called 'Mac OS X Install Data'), but when the MacBook Pro reboots and attempts to boot from the drive it gets to the gray apple logo and stops - no drive activity at all.

I also, out of curiosity tried installing onto a USB 2.0 drive (also iomega) and it did the same.

Both drives are set-up to use the GUID Partition Table.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour - am I missing something?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2011, 11:44 AM

Of course you can install onto external drives. The real question is are you using a version of Snow Leopard that can boot your laptop?
Vandelay Industries

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2011, 12:58 PM

Ah - I see...

I was using the retail version of SL from when it was released. My MacBook Pro is more recent than that. That explains it.

I have since used an old macbook to install SL onto the drive, and after SWUpdate it boots my MBP.

Thanks for elucidating.

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 25, 2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock View Post
Ah - I see...

I was using the retail version of SL from when it was released. My MacBook Pro is more recent than that. That explains it.

I have since used an old macbook to install SL onto the drive, and after SWUpdate it boots my MBP.

Thanks for elucidating.
You can also just use your computer-specific disk to install on the external drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules