Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to search system/library files in Leopard?

How to search system/library files in Leopard?
gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:11 PM

Does anyone know a way to allow Leopard's search functions, preferably spotlight, search system and library files? Every now and then I want to track down app preference files, plugins, support files to trash them, and it takes a heckuva lot longer to navigate to all the individual folders then it would to just type a few lettres in spotlight.

I can't actually remember if it was possible in Tiger, though I seem to think that it was.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 03:21 AM

This was one of the touted 300 features, and it has to be said it is not easy to spot. When you open a find window and it wants to find "kind" = "any", you can choose other from the drop-down on "kind" and find a massive list of what attributes you might want to look for. From there, I entered system in the search box and it came up with include system files: yes or no.

I then saved the search to the sidebar thinking that I would then be able to easily search including system files, but apparently that's not quite how it works. After selecting that search, as soon as I type one letter to search for, it returns to a regular find window, where I then have to start again, but with the option of using my saved search. Also with the "show all file extensions" option turned on in Finder, this is silly, as my search became listed as "System Files.savedsearch".

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 09:55 AM

I don't have the 'kind' option. All I have is the location (This Mac and the current folder) and Content or File Name. Where is the kind option?

kman

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 09:56 AM

Found it under the cryptic + sign.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 29, 2007, 10:48 AM

Cryptic...heh. Anyone searching for system files shouldn't find the + button cryptic.

Open Finder, go to search field, hit spacebar, hit + button, go to the criteria menu (default should be Kind on fresh installs), choose 'Other...', find 'System' criteria, select it (check In Menu checkbox if you want it added to your criteria menu).

You can either save this as a Smart Folder or manually add it to search through the criteria menu.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 10:54 AM

You can also specify to search the System and Library folders by clicking the "Others..." location.

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 01:32 PM

I just meant it was hidden away over on the right hand side. I would expect those options to be more obviously located, like near the Contents and File Name buttons. It applies to the search parameters, after all, not the Save button, which is where it is located.

kman

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 03:46 PM

In Tiger if you had a suitably small Finder window open before going to find, the - and + buttons would not even be visible in the window, how's that for cryptic ? Just checked and it seems sorted in Leop.

bluesloth
Oct 29, 2007, 05:57 PM

"This was one of the touted 300 features"

How is making it difficult to search for system/library files a feature?
( Last edited by bluesloth; Oct 29, 2007 at 06:04 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 29, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
I just meant it was hidden away over on the right hand side. I would expect those options to be more obviously located, like near the Contents and File Name buttons. It applies to the search parameters, after all, not the Save button, which is where it is located.

kman
Ah...k gotcha.

MartiNZ also explained some odd behavior with the + button in Tiger. I'm glad that's sorted in Leopard.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluesloth View Post
"This was one of the touted 300 features"

How is making it difficult to search for system/library files a feature?
One of the prime directives: Protect the user from him/herself.

Goodness knows what someone might do if they could search system files, honestly !

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
This was one of the touted 300 features, and it has to be said it is not easy to spot. When you open a find window and it wants to find "kind" = "any", you can choose other from the drop-down on "kind" and find a massive list of what attributes you might want to look for. From there, I entered system in the search box and it came up with include system files: yes or no.

I then saved the search to the sidebar thinking that I would then be able to easily search including system files, but apparently that's not quite how it works. After selecting that search, as soon as I type one letter to search for, it returns to a regular find window, where I then have to start again, but with the option of using my saved search. Also with the "show all file extensions" option turned on in Finder, this is silly, as my search became listed as "System Files.savedsearch".
Thanks, found it. I've been getting so used to selecting these sorts of things in "preference" style, ala spotlight, that I missed digging deep into the filter options in the finder search.

loren s
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 09:16 PM

there used to be a file that you could edit called SkipFolders in core services that had all of the places spotlight would not search in for system files. But it's not there anymore it seems. Is their a replacement for it so this madness of filters can be removed ?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 11:00 PM

You should be able to add them to the "Privacy" tab of the Spotlight prefpane.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
You should be able to add them to the "Privacy" tab of the Spotlight prefpane.
Except that the idea is to remove the filters that are hindering Spotlight's usefulness, not add more of them.
( Last edited by gradient; Oct 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM. )

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 11:24 PM

I felt there would be a catch.

danz013
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 10:26 AM

Guys, I need some help. I'm not sure whats going of here.

I've been trying to search the library files. I've ready what you've all been saying above and I understand what I have to do.

The problem is, when I use the drop down menu to select a search attribute.. there is nothing in the box that appears? There is no system files option to select? I've attached a screen shot.

Is this a bug? Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules