Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 & Pro Keyboard = trash combination doesn't work

9.1 & Pro Keyboard = trash combination doesn't work
pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 11:57 AM

I recently upgraded to 9.1. I have a iMac DV+ with 512MB RAM. After the upgrade, the volume, mute and eject keys work but not the Empty Trash key combination. I've trashed my Finder preferences to no avail. Any ideas?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2001, 12:40 PM

well, i can't suggest a fix, but you might want to keep your eye on a thread in apple's OS 9.1 discussion forum. you can find it at http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...cuo^[email protected] (although you do need an account to see the post... if you don't have one, just sign up).

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 01-12-2001).]

pdjr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2001, 02:41 AM

Thanks. I wonder if the Chakapura Patch would work. I previously was using Command+T to empty the trash. Now I notice that that command Adds to Favorities. Is anyone else with an older iMac DVSE and a new Pro Keyboard experiencing similar oddities?

------------------

Phaedrus
Jan 13, 2001, 02:57 AM

Just write an Applescript to empty the trash. Link it to a hot key and you have one-button trash empty! Here's the script:

tell application "Finder"
activate
empty trash
end tell

Save as a classic applet, with "never show startup screen". Then go to the keyboard control panel, function keys, and assign the applet to a function key. You can set it so you only need to hit the function key, or so you need to press option+function key.

As an extra bonus this will never conflict with key shortcuts for any applications.

pdjr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2001, 03:09 AM

Phaedrus is a lifesaver. This is my first script. Please stay around in case I have a follow-up. Here we go. Thanks again.

------------------

pdjr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2001, 03:19 AM

It worked. This is so easy. Thanks so much. What are some good resources for learning more of the AppleScript language. I'm ready. I even have a shortcut for Script Editor on my desktop now. It's time to search the other forum. =)

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules