Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G3 266 (beige) and new LCD monitor? Help!

G3 266 (beige) and new LCD monitor? Help!
LCDM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 06:24 PM

G3 266 (beige) with all original hardware and 384RAM.
Trying to hookup new flat profile LCD screen and the center of the screen just reads "no signal" and otherwise stays dark. The speakers in the screen will not work either. The previous screen (IIyama 19") worked fine with a Viewsonic monitor adapter. I've changed the clock battery. That didn't help.

Any suggestions? Would a new video card be useful? If so what kind?

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2004, 03:53 AM

"No signal" is the generic message that a monitor displays when the computer isn't sending any data to the display. We're talking about a VGA display, correct? First, make sure that your cables are connected securely - I've only seen that message when the computer is off or the display is on and disconnected. There's the possibility that you don't have enough video memory to support the minimum resolution of the display. Installing a new video card is definitely worth a try, but cards are expensive and the return is questionable. Before you buy any additional equipment, connect the display to a different computer.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

LCDM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
"No signal" is the generic message that a monitor displays when the computer isn't sending any data to the display. We're talking about a VGA display, correct? First, make sure that your cables are connected securely - I've only seen that message when the computer is off or the display is on and disconnected. There's the possibility that you don't have enough video memory to support the minimum resolution of the display. Installing a new video card is definitely worth a try, but cards are expensive and the return is questionable. Before you buy any additional equipment, connect the display to a different computer.

I appreciate your response. Yes, the monitor works on a different computer (Dare I say "Windows" sh-h-h-h!). I have checked all connections between the screen and the Mac,"first-things-first" and connections seem fine. The only thing I could think of that it could be other than needing a new video card is the Viewsonic monitor adapter that's sitting on the monitor port which I was using for the original IIyama 19" screen that I purchased when I bought the Mac back in 1999. I left the dip switches in the same position they were for that screen but that screen was VGA, not LCD. The instructions w/the adapter do not cover the more modern LCD settings. Do you think it might be worth it to look for a newer adapter? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules