Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > console access to servers in os x

console access to servers in os x
Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2005, 11:16 PM

Hi,

I have a few Sun machines I'd like to access through the console. I have the correct serial cables and a USB-serial adapter plugged into my Mac. I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the console. I have used this setup in Windows and I use Hyperterminal. I tried to use Zterm but it didn't pick up the serial port. What do I need to do to use the serial port and what's the best software to use? Thanks.

ndt
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

__^^__
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Partisan01
Hi,

I have a few Sun machines I'd like to access through the console. I have the correct serial cables and a USB-serial adapter plugged into my Mac. I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the console. I have used this setup in Windows and I use Hyperterminal. I tried to use Zterm but it didn't pick up the serial port. What do I need to do to use the serial port and what's the best software to use? Thanks.

ndt

The problem may be the USB - Serial adapter. Does it have OS X Drivers?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by __^^__
The problem may be the USB - Serial adapter. Does it have OS X Drivers?
and are they installed? Do you see anything obvious in /dev when the adapter is connected?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
and are they installed? Do you see anything obvious in /dev when the adapter is connected?
Yes, I got a driver installed, apparently most of the USB-serial devices all use the same prolific chipset, so I was able to use their driver. It also created a /dev/tty.usbserial0 device for me. I used ZTerm and it caught the bootup of my Netra, it seems that it can't handle everything so well. Now I'm looking for another way to connect, I tried minicom and it blewup trying to connect to the usb device. Does anyone know of another terminal program for mac? I was looking at trying to get tip which is a unix program, and for some reason it's not included in OS X.

__^^__
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 01:34 PM

What are the settings on the serial port and what type of terminal are you emulating? Try setting the serial port to a slower speed.

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by __^^__
What are the settings on the serial port and what type of terminal are you emulating? Try setting the serial port to a slower speed.

I'm using 9600 8N1 which is the setting Sun recommends for serial ports. I have used the same settings in Windows and they work fine. The text displays for bootup, but once the prompt is supposed to appear ZTerm just goes blank. Also I cannot send a break character to the Netra through ZTerm...

Forum Links
Forum Rules