Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Client-side language choice?

Client-side language choice?
outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2005, 11:48 AM

Hi, everyone:
What language or languages would be good for client-side web development? This could be 3GL or 4GL.

My plan is to make it easy to send and retrieve information to/from MySQL databases on a Linux web server. For example, I'd like to retrieve sales data that is only stored on the server, so that it can be managed locally and placed into an accounting system, amongst other things.

I want to keep cost very low. In other words, I don't want to spend $500+ for the dev. application and other licensing costs.

I like the idea of using Java on OS X, but I don't know Java. It would be a learning experience. But it's FREE!

FileMaker or 4D would be capable of this, but they don't meet the cost requirement -- too much $$$.

What about RealBASIC? It's not like I'm trying to write missile command-and-control software; speed doesn't matter.

Also, I thought about just using PHP and running the front-end in the browser anyway. Finally, I might use AppleScript to tie MYOB accounting into this front-end client.

Sorry to be vague, but this is just a front-end interface to server-side data.

Any ideas?
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 12:42 PM

If it's going to be a web only interface, I would recommend PHP
If it's going to be a fat client I'd recommend Cocoa or Java depending on what you know
If it's going to be an N-tier app I'd recommend Java/JSP/Beans/the whole deal

really it depends on what you already know and the application. I believe in the right tool for the right job, don't use a tool just because it's the best, use a tool that fits the project and your skill set.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules