Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB, old OS!

New PB, old OS!
adrianl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 12:05 PM

Received my new 12inch yesterday after several weeks delay (Apple Europe have had major logistics problem).

Ordered it from Apple UK Store on 30 Oct since they said any orders after 28 Oct would come with 10.3 installed.

Imagine my surprise to see that it actually came with 10.2.7!

May be blessing in disguise since there have been a lot of bugs reported about Panther, and it's run flawless so far. Just curious though as to why it would have come with 10.2.7 when even the 10.2.8 update was announced 3 Oct!

Will call Apple (should they deign to answer phone - 20 minute waits are the norm) to get the Panther update but may hold off till the next point upgrade. Do any users of 10.2.7 have compelling reasons for upgrade (I don't use Bluetooth). Understand 10.2.8 provided USB 2.0 support but was this only for PCI cards (RevB has usb 2.0 built-in).

Thanks for advice,

Adrian
Adrian Langford
London, UK

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 12:36 PM

It still is possible for new PowerBook shipments to come with Jaguar and not Panther because they may have been on stock for quite some time already. A number of "new" shipments of PowerBooks in my place all came with Jaguar, and it was up to the reseller to decide if upgrading to Panther was a free deal or not (unfotunately, the local Apple office closed down, so now the resellers have to deal with a foreign Apple office).

Regardless, your PowerBook should have come with coupons which you can use to upgrade to Panther for a minimal fee (about USD20, I thinki). You'll be shipped the Apple Panther Upgrade discs (actually, only disc 1 differs from the retail version), which you can use to upgrade your copy of the OS.

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 01:09 PM

10.2.7?????? I thought that was a G5 only version, and that all other 10.2.x went from .6 straight to .8.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by kanker:
10.2.7?????? I thought that was a G5 only version, and that all other 10.2.x went from .6 straight to .8.
I doubt that seeing as my 12" PB also shipped with 10.2.7 and the software restore DVD has 10.2.7 on it.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 03:41 PM

10.2.7 was never released to the general public as an update, everything it changed was rolled into 10.2.8.

Two versions of 10.2.7 existed. The G5 version, with the code to support more then 4gb of memory. And a second, used on the Powerbook line, and also a few other new systems.

Apple also does not generally update the software restore discs all that often, to avoid the overhead of tracking many different part numbers for replacement discs. Instead, they update them when something major happens, like Panther.
<This space under renovation>

adrianl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
10.2.7 was never released to the general public as an update, everything it changed was rolled into 10.2.8.

Two versions of 10.2.7 existed. The G5 version, with the code to support more then 4gb of memory. And a second, used on the Powerbook line, and also a few other new systems.

Apple also does not generally update the software restore discs all that often, to avoid the overhead of tracking many different part numbers for replacement discs. Instead, they update them when something major happens, like Panther.
That's very enlightening - many thanks and to all who posted!

10.2.7 will do me fine for now (and nice to know it includes a lot of 10.2.8 improvements). Besides my David Pogue 'Missing Manual' bible is the Jag edition so will get more use out of that!

Adrian
Adrian Langford
London, UK

Forum Links
Forum Rules