Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Update graphics card for G5

Update graphics card for G5
tobster
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

Hi all,

I've been searching for an online seller of video cards for a PowerMac G5 in my care. The system in question is a G5 1.8 DP with the original video card. We are switching out the 23" currently connected to it and putting a 30" instead. Unfortunately the original video card doesn't support the 30". I am a little confused as to what options I have and where to buy one (it takes 2-3 months here to get it from the local seller - thats 2 months or more of 30" not being used ). I want to try and avoid ebay and besides, I can't see many possibilities there.

I am not entirely sure if I have the PCI or PCI-X model under my hands. Easy enough to figure out I assume.

Any help finding the right card, and an online seller would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tobbi

4JNA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 06:17 PM

dual 1.8 was an AGP (8x) system. think your best bet is looking for a 6800 or x800 to install, but they are hard to find, and expensive when you do. best of luck.

quick search found THIS at OWC. no luck finding a retail 6800...

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 08:36 PM

I was looking around on eBay and through some articles (I have a AGP 8X Powermac G5 too) to try to find the best graphics card. It seems to be, pretty hands down, the Ati X850XT, which you can find on eBay for about $320 these days.

I have the X800Xt (which can also drive a 30") but recently popped a Zalman on it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118222
and overclocked it to the X850XT speeds. Perfectly stable, cool, and no artifacts!

So... if you can't find the X850XT, you can always spring for the X800XT, which is a pretty similar card.
yep.

miocinq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 02:38 PM

OWC has them 6800 right now for 399$. Can drive two 30" AluCins.
7800 flashed by strangedogs people might be worth a shot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules