Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Memory problems with finder?

Memory problems with finder?
mgoulet25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 01:07 PM

Hi,

I have a G3 350 mhz, 512 mo, with 9.2.2 installed and I do have a problem with memory. On a previous message, I tried some of the solutions given me lilke disabling some extensions, reconstructing the destok and so on and I still get the information on the Apple menu that the OS eats up 65 mo!!! Is this normal?? I tried with as many configurations as possible, always saving the last one to see which extension was eating so much memory, but sometimes when I disable like a dozen, I end up with more memory eated up by the OS! Is this a Finder problem or just that the 9.2.2 OS needs so much memory? I'm also wondering if some applications that I don't use at all still need mem to "be" in background? Also I tried rebooting with all the extensions disabled and my OS still needs some 25 mo. I'm maybe freaking out for nothing but I have a few freezing problems when I shut down the computer or when I try to open up an application like Eudora or Opera. Or when I print a word document, my printer freezes up unitl I click on the Epson Monitor again to make sure it starts!

I considered turning on the Virtual memory but I'm afraid that the computer will really get slow.

I have a few pheripherics installed like a scanner, a printer, a 4-Hub, external ADSL modem and a ZIP- Drive which I use for my backups. Could it some kinf of conflict?? Frankly, I'm confused and don't know from which way to start!!

ANy help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules