Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Recommendations for G4 PowerBook

Recommendations for G4 PowerBook
chris36
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 01:05 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm a graphic designer and Presently I'm using an iMac G3 600Mhz system to do Graphic, web and photo retouching apps. Mostly adobe softwares and requires lots of RAM and Speed.
So I thought maybe I need a Powerbook. Is it a good desktop replacements? Especially the 15" and 17"? I like the 17" but its a bit steep in price. And if I opt for the 15" is it a good buy and is sufficient in terms of speed and power?

Thank you!

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 01:11 PM

I'd be wary of buying a 15" at the moment - due for replacement any time soon, dodgy build quality (hinges), only 802.11b wireless (802.11g on 17"), only FW400 (FW800 on 17"), slower internal architecture, "bouncy" keyboard.... need I say more - if I were you, I'd wait for an Al15" or stump up the extra spondoolies for a 17incher.
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
I'd be wary of buying a 15" at the moment - due for replacement any time soon,
Plain rumor..nobody knows..

slower internal architecture
Not really true. If you compare the performance of each, the results are almost similars..

"bouncy" keyboard
That's just your opinion. I found both the 15" keyboard as good as the 17"..

... need I say more -
Yes.. The 15" is $500 less.. and in terms of ratio price/performance I think that the 15" is still the best bang for the buck of the PB line.
Not that I don't like the 17" (it's a really great piece of hardware) but when you compare both machine you need to take in account everything...

Anyway, chris36, whatever the PB you'll choose, you'll be plenty satisfied with each of them..Both are really great machines..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Nigel Tufnel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 02:52 PM

Tell me more. I'm in the same boat. I think one 1Ghz G4 is plenty fast for me and I'll hook it up to a 23" flat panel so I'm not worried about screen real estate. I also like the plug-in being in back. By putting them on the sides it uses up too much of my tabletop.

-How big of a problem is the hinge? I've heard very little about this.

-Am I missing out by not getting this firewire 800 port or will it be so long before 3rd party vendors jump into this?

thanks,

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel:
Tell me more. I'm in the same boat. I think one 1Ghz G4 is plenty fast for me and I'll hook it up to a 23" flat panel so I'm not worried about screen real estate. I also like the plug-in being in back. By putting them on the sides it uses up too much of my tabletop.

-How big of a problem is the hinge? I've heard very little about this.

-Am I missing out by not getting this firewire 800 port or will it be so long before 3rd party vendors jump into this?

thanks,
The hinges has been reported to break in some cases but that's not in anyway an usual problem..Anyway, if you worry about that just take the applecare..
About the FW 800 there is very few (if any) devices right now.. but I guess we'll see some coming soon...

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 03:34 PM

I personally would not purchase the 15inch at the moment, it is undoubtably due for an update. If you can wait a month or 2 everything should be clearer.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 03:47 PM

I just purchased an 867 Ti about two weeks ago. I didn't think we'd see new PowerBooks until at least late June, but information has come to me in the last couple of hours that suggests that a new 15-inch PowerBook is imminent...

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patcarla:
[B]Originally posted by OSXFreak:

>>Plain rumor..nobody knows..

The when may be rumour - but it WILL happen. There is currently a gaping hole in their lineup and they are sure to address it within the next few months.

>>Not really true. If you compare the performance of each, the results are almost similars..

Tests show there are considerable differences in the area of OpenGL and memory.

>>That's just your opinion. I found both the 15" keyboard as good as the 17"..

The 15" keyboard is bouncy, fact, I can be objective about this. It's due to the fact that it flips up to allow access to the memory expansion slot below. The 17" does not have this flaw.

>>Yes.. The 15" is $500 less.. and in terms of ratio price/performance I think that the 15" is still the best bang for the buck of the PB line.
Can't argue with you. It is indeed $500 cheaper, but inches of LCD cost money.

>>Not that I don't like the 17" (it's a really great piece of hardware) but when you compare both machine you need to take in account everything...

Horses for courses.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
Yeah OSXFreak, I like your second post better...much more convincing
I agree mostly with what you said but I needed to defend a bit the "old" 15" tibook..

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 05:14 PM

If you need/want the 15.2" TiBook G4, then get it now. It's a great machine. I have no hinge problems, networking is just fine (my cable modem is only 2 mbps, not like AirPort Extreme would help any, and no I do not transfer files from one Mac to the other using wireless), the keyboard is very stiff and does not bounce whatsoever (has multiple magnets on the bottom to prevent this), and is an all around great, fast, reliable machine.

And with the price now at $2,599.00 without a SuperDrive (I have no use for one) its a great deal!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
If you need/want the 15.2" TiBook G4, then get it now. It's a great machine. I have no hinge problems, networking is just fine (my cable modem is only 2 mbps, not like AirPort Extreme would help any, and no I do not transfer files from one Mac to the other using wireless), the keyboard is very stiff and does not bounce whatsoever (has multiple magnets on the bottom to prevent this), and is an all around great, fast, reliable machine.

And with the price now at $2,599.00 without a SuperDrive (I have no use for one) its a great deal!
Oh yeah!! it's still an amazing machine..

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Yeah OSXFreak, I like your second post better...much more convincing
I agree mostly with what you said but I needed to defend a bit the "old" 15" tibook..
Isn't it funny how people vigorously defend their own configurations. I never felt this attached to my beige Athlon. (And I haven't even received my powerbook yet )

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 05:57 PM

I don't think it matters when you buy whichever powerbook - they are all good quality machines, and won't let you down - why would Apple leave a weak spot in their line up? If you want the latest and greatest thing, you're in the wrong game - computers are never that for long enough to justify their price. Just go with the one that suits you - if money or space are the limiting options, then the 15" is the way forward. If not, and you want a slightly better performer - 17" is your choice. Remember, that by the time the 15" update is released, the 17" would be awaiting a revision of some sort - You have to jump in somewhere!

By the way my 15" is on the way from Taiwan as we speak. 4 days left!

chris36  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys!
After reading all your first hands-on news, I've made a decision to wait for the new 15" PB.
But how abt the expandability of the PB? Is it sufficient for me as I'm very graphics intensive? So big files and speed are needed.

randeerod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 03:19 AM

Chris,

Being a graphic designer too, I'm going back and forth between the 17" AlBook and waiting for a new 15". Ask yoursekf this question:
Do you really NEED (not want) it now? If the answer is yes then get one.

Regarding your first post, a 1 gig 15" TiBook or a 17" AlBook are perfect choices for your designing needs...IMHO. Both are fast and have enough memory. If cost is an issue you might be able to find some good deals on a TiBook right now (Stanford U were selling 1gig
TiBooks for $1799-while supplies last..I'm sure they're out), so keep your eyes open.

Regarding you second post, you should have no problem with any of the PB. You can always add more memory (and if your dealing with Photoshop files that are huge...I'd suggest to get as much memory you can afford...it's always a good idea!! Regarding your big files,
the hard drives should be enough and I'm sure you can replace the HD...I'm not sure though.
You can also get an external HD and with the new FireWire 800 drives coming out, I'm sure space and speed won't be an issue. Or you can get an iPod and use that, not only would you have another storage device (rumor has it that a 40 Gig one will be released-that's alot of space!!), but you would also have the best mp3 player on the market (again, IMHO)!!!!

Good Luck with you purchase!! Whatever choice you make, one things for sure, you won't be disappointed!!

chris36  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 03:33 AM

Thanks Bo,
I think I'll wait for the upcoming 15' which hopefully due soon....
17' is sleek and nice but i find it a bit huge in pricing... 15' is ok and slighly cheaper,, heheh

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by chris36:
Thanks Bo,
I think I'll wait for the upcoming 15' which hopefully due soon....
17' is sleek and nice but i find it a bit huge in pricing... 15' is ok and slighly cheaper,, heheh
Personally, I too am waiting for those 15" aluminum PowerBooks to come out. Presently, I'm using a 12.1" iBook with 640mb ram and airport. The machine isn't that slow, but while using it, I definitely don't feel like it's cutting edge by any definition. I need more of a desktop replacement type system than a desktop accessory, heh. Ok, end rant..
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules