Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quartz mysteriously slowing down in Panther?

Quartz mysteriously slowing down in Panther?
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 10:12 AM

My problem is kind of unique and I can't recreate the problem myself... it kind of just happens. Here's the story.

I'll be using OS X Panther 10.3.2, and I'll minimize a window to find out that it's noticeably choppy while it shrinks to the Dock. This is kind of annoying because it's usually really smooth. The only way to fix it again is to Log Out or kill the Dock.

System Specs.

iBook 800MHz G3
32MB VRAM
640MB RAM (max)
30GB HD
Panther 10.3.2 (7D24)

I did a clean install of Panther again, and I got the same results. Does anyone have this happen to them?

Please try and respond to my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 12:25 PM

I have severly chopped quartz animations after updating to 10.3.2. I have a Dual 800 G4 withh 1 GB RAM and Radeon 8500.

It does not happen always but mostly yes. Seems the update bought doen 2D graphics performance.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 01:11 PM

I figured it out everybody... If you have Stuffit 8.0 Installed, then upgrade to Stuffit 8.0.2.

http://www.stuffit.com/

This has worked for me so far all day!

ul1984
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 03:22 PM

i have the same problem, killing the dock restores the speed of my minimize animations too. but after a few hours it always comes back, so i have to kill the dock again.

and i dont think stuffit is involved, i only have stuffit expander 7.03 which came with panther i think, and i rarely use it.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 09:31 PM

Seriously, upgrade to Stuffit 8.0.2.

Stuffit Expander 8.0 and below are NOT compatible with Panther and I think that's the App causing the problem. You don't even have to use it a lot to have the problem because I have a feeling that it's the Stuffit Engine that's making things act funny.

I have no idea why it would do this, but so far I haven't had a problem yet and I posted this thread like 12 hours ago.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 09:53 PM

ok ill give it a try, ill let you know if it works

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Seriously, upgrade to Stuffit 8.0.2.

Stuffit Expander 8.0 and below are NOT compatible with Panther and I think that's the App causing the problem. .
I have no problems using 7.03 of SE. I see no mention of anyone running Activity Monitor or Top in Terminal to see what is actually using your precious cpu%.
Maybe that's why I am not seeing the problems you are with SE v8
MenuMeters is a crucial tool for me to know when some process has gone awry, giving visual feedback of cpu%.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 11:03 PM

I'm not saying that you're wrong... All I'm saying is that since upgrading my Stuffit Expander 8.0.2, I've had a smooth ride and everything is working normally now. I'm still waiting to see if it happens again.

Like I said... I posted this like 14 hours ago and I haven't seen anything slow down like I did before.

That's all I'm trying to say. I would suggest anyone to upgrade to Stuffit 8.0.2 anyways... weather they have problems or not.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 11:05 PM

My version is 7.0.3, and it is saying that I need to update to 7.0.3. When I click on the link, it tells me to download 8.0.2. Weird. Does anyone else see that?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 11:42 PM

I've had this since Jaguar. Minimizing framerates seem to just randomly decrease after a while of usage. As you said, logging out or restarting the Dock fixes it. Maybe it's just something has missed for a long time, because I've had it happen ever since I started using X (when Jag first came out).

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 11:11 AM

Well... lemme tell you...

It's day #2 and I still haven't had ANY problems yet. I'm still wating to see if it is going to do it again. Note: It was doing this on a daily basis, not even long after I've been logged in.

Well, so far upgrading to Stuffit 8.0.2 has eliminated the problem. I don't want to bite my tongue, but I think Stuffit was the cause of the problem.

We'll see.

P.S. What the heck does P.S. stand for?

P.S.S. Why do people add an extra "S"

P.S.S.S. Now this is just rediculous!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Well... lemme tell you...

It's day #2 and I still haven't had ANY problems yet. I'm still wating to see if it is going to do it again. Note: It was doing this on a daily basis, not even long after I've been logged in.

Well, so far upgrading to Stuffit 8.0.2 has eliminated the problem. I don't want to bite my tongue, but I think Stuffit was the cause of the problem.

We'll see.

P.S. What the heck does P.S. stand for?

P.S.S. Why do people add an extra "S"

P.S.S.S. Now this is just rediculous!
P.S. = post scriptum
or Postscript or Photoshop

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2003, 01:02 PM

Well, I have 8.0.2, and it's still doing it now. Besides, no StuffIt stuff is even running, and I've had the same problem since Jag and every update since. Doesn't affect productivity, though�it's just irritating, really.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Well, I have 8.0.2, and it's still doing it now. Besides, no StuffIt stuff is even running, and I've had the same problem since Jag and every update since. Doesn't affect productivity, though�it's just irritating, really.
what kind of hardware do you have? with 10.3.2 am getting this on a 1ghz cube w/radeon card. haven't had it SINCE jag & quartz extreme, except once when a Virex daemon was choking things.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2003, 09:54 PM

You add another 'P' for 'post', not 'S' for script, so it's PPS and then PPPS etc.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
what kind of hardware do you have? with 10.3.2 am getting this on a 1ghz cube w/radeon card. haven't had it SINCE jag & quartz extreme, except once when a Virex daemon was choking things.
Dual 800, 768MB GeForce 3. No Virex stuff installed ever.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 08:43 PM

you were right unless ive been very lucky.
almost 2 days have passed now since i switched to stuffit 8.02, and still no minimizing slow down...

thx a lot

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2003, 07:40 AM

You're welcome man. The reason I figured it was stuffit was because I was trying to figure out what was slowing it down... so I was minimizing a window like after EVERYTHING I did. Well, I downloaded a file and unstuffed it.

Then when I minimized a window, it was choppy. It made me wonder. So I went to Stuffit.com and downloaded the update.

Then I waited and waited for it to slow down again and of course it didn't.

Then, just for laughs, I downgraded back to 8.0 again and the problem came back within 20 minutes or so.

I'm sorry for those people for which the Stuffit upgrade didn't work. Maybe you guys have a different problem than me... but, I guess if it works for me then I'm happy at least.

sktrdie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 03:50 PM

i dont think stuffit is the problem at all

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 02:05 PM

Check 'top' or Activity Viewer and see how many pageouts you're having. Perhaps in your case, StuffIt was causing a memory leak, leading to excessive virtual memory page swapping and the slow down. 8.02 may solve this for you.

Regardless, glad to hear it's working well.

calumma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2003, 05:45 PM

The problem continues to manifest on my system. I agree that Stuffit is responsible since the slow-down had not occurred for some time and suddenly reappeared immediately after I compressed a file using Stuffit. However, I am using 8.02 (lite versions)...

Lee

Forum Links
Forum Rules