Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > firewire ports

firewire ports
alexforsythe24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 11:59 AM

I have a pismo.
I just got an ipod for christmas.
Last night I found out that when you close the lid on the powerbook power no longer flows to the firewire port (to recharge my ipod)

While at my parents, I found power does flow through the iMac firewire ports when asleep as well as when the computer is turned off.

Is there a way to make my powerbook have power flow to the firewire ports when the lid is closed ?

Thanks

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 12:16 PM

probably not, since you might end up draining the battery on a notebook.

-r.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 01:58 PM

does power flow through if you have your notebook plugged in??

I don't have any firewire device to check this, but I see no reason why Apple would prevent it with the notebook plugged into a power adapter..

sktrdie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 02:19 PM

only the new generation computers have th function to recharge the ipod when off or asleep!
with my12" i can recharge only when asleep or on..not when its off

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 30, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by alexforsythe24:
I have a pismo.
I just got an ipod for christmas.
Last night I found out that when you close the lid on the powerbook power no longer flows to the firewire port (to recharge my ipod)

While at my parents, I found power does flow through the iMac firewire ports when asleep as well as when the computer is turned off.

Is there a way to make my powerbook have power flow to the firewire ports when the lid is closed ?
On my Pismo, my iPod charges even when the lid is closed, regardless of whether it's on AC or battery. (Note: I tested this in sleep mode. I did not turn the Pismo off.)

If your Pismo isn't doing this, do two things:
1. check to make sure there's no firmware update available for the computer
2. reset the Power Management Unit -- turn off, remove battery and AC adapter, and hold the little reset button in the back down for 5 seconds (it's the little tiny button next to the modem, indicated by a small triangle).

tooki

alexforsythe24  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
does power flow through if you have your notebook plugged in??

I don't have any firewire device to check this, but I see no reason why Apple would prevent it with the notebook plugged into a power adapter..
Nope .. plugged in or not .. no dice

alexforsythe24  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
On my Pismo, my iPod charges even when the lid is closed, regardless of whether it's on AC or battery. (Note: I tested this in sleep mode. I did not turn the Pismo off.)

If your Pismo isn't doing this, do two things:
1. check to make sure there's no firmware update available for the computer
2. reset the Power Management Unit -- turn off, remove battery and AC adapter, and hold the little reset button in the back down for 5 seconds (it's the little tiny button next to the modem, indicated by a small triangle).

tooki
I don't have my pismo in front of me at the moment, but thanks ...

Question .. how do I know what version of firmware for my pismo I currently have? Also, I saw on the apple web site a firewire upgrade, but it's only for OS 9. Do I need to install 9 to apply that ?

Thanks
Alex

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2004, 08:06 AM

My Pismo's firmware (which was updated) is 4.1.8f5. This can be found in System Profiler under "boot ROM info".

Yes, on the Pismo, the firmware updater requires OS 9. If you have Classic installed, that is sufficient to boot OS 9 on this model. Just boot into OS 9 and run Software Update -- if the firmware needs updating, it should show up in Software Update.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules