Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto '05 observations

iPhoto '05 observations
OSXFreak
Jan 30, 2005, 02:54 AM

I rushed out and bought iLife '05 yesterday (I live in the UK, so it was my first opportunity).

Focussing on iPhoto, I think it's a great improvement - I particularly like the ability to create a hierarchical folder structure. However, has anyone noticed that your lovingly crafted folder structure is flattened when trying to import photos into other iLife apps? This problem also afflicts the iPod photo - you now simply get a long list of albums.

This in my view is a mjor oversight and is need of addressing. Come on Apple!

Whilst on the subject of iPhoto, is anyone else having problems with it hanging when quitting the application, after having made lots of changes?
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

OSXFreak  (op)
Jan 30, 2005, 03:36 AM

To add to this, I'm now finding that iPhoto now sporadically uses 100% CPU time; I've fixed permissions, cleaned caches & restarted to no avail. My library currently holds around 3000 photos, but I had no problems in v4. Am I alone in experiencing these issues?

Edit: this only seems to happen when I'm zoomed in with around 4+ pics showing.
( Last edited by OSXFreak; Jan 30, 2005 at 08:28 AM. )
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 04:05 PM

I'm having similar issues. My library (8000 pics) seems incredibly slow and uses a ton of CPU time on my iMac G5 with 2GB ram. The same slowness issues persist in a brand new user account with only a few hundred photos.

I haven't heard much about slow iPhoto 5, though, so I'm wondering if it is an issue with my large library size.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 07:30 PM

I've had similar problem, that is, when I can get it to effectively import my albums at all.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

russellh1961
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 10:36 AM

I had this same issue in iPhoto 4. the iPhoto usage would go up to 70 or 80% for no reason and the application became very sluggish. I called applecare and we worked through it. What finally resolved the issue was to delete or move the com.apple.iPod.plist from the library folder.
---
Russell

Forum Links
Forum Rules