Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What OS upgrade for G3/233MT?

What OS upgrade for G3/233MT?
swingard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2002, 12:45 PM

My sister's got a G3/233 MT (96MB RAM) that is still running the original OS 8.0 that it was shipped with. She's asked me to set it up with some software so she can do basic word processing, home finances, and also "fix it" so it can run newer versions of AOL and Netscape.

I know that AppleWorks is going to require an upgrade to OS 8.1 or later. But Quicken needs stuff that's much more recent (I think the 2002 version needs OS 9.0.4, and the new 2003 version requires 9.2.2)

Will 9.2 even work on this system? (Momentarily leaving aside the question of how I'm going to find a copy of it for her, now that Apple's stopped selling it.) Or is it better to upgrader her to something older like 8.6 and tell her she's just out of luck trying to use Quicken?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2002, 06:24 PM

I would upgrade to OS 9, there really is no reason not too. I still see OS9 discs for sale at CompUSA, and I am sure you can get about a million of them on ebay. You shouldn't have any problem loadingon a 233 with 96 megs of ram, and you can just download the 9.XX updates.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2002, 12:07 AM

You could always get a little more RAM and try OS X out on it... it makes a cool little server...

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2002, 08:10 AM

If you had OS 8.6, I wouldn't bother upgrading, but OS 9 is a big improvement over 8.

8.0 got the MacOS back on course after a few years of neglect. But it really came together in 8.5, with a lot of minor improvements that makes the whole thing hang together better and feel more modern.

OS 9 is a little better again and runs fine on any G3. There's also plenty of software that requires it. You'll probably want 64mb though, if you don't already have it.

I wouldn't bother installing OS X on it. I ran it on my old G3 for a while and it's unpleasant. Never mind resizing windows, just moving them around is too much for Quartz.

Chris

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2002, 04:29 PM

I use OS X on a 233 G3 and it's really improved since the 10.1 era... I can actually run M$ Office on it without all that many issues... It plays MP3s, surfs the web, checks email, etc. (it doesn't do them all that fast, but it's a rock (has yet to crash).

Again, if you are trying to "eak" out some extra speed, stay OS 9, but if you want to try out some of the cool things that are coming out... I would consider it.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2002, 02:03 AM

I upgraded my dad's Beige G3, which had been causing countless problems and crashes, to 10.1.5, throwing in a combo USB/firewire card in the process... it had 128 mb of RAM... It was slow but it ran like a dream... everything worked, more modern software could be used, and it never crashed.... until one day the HD motor died but that's not the OS's fault ;[
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Forum Links
Forum Rules