Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Burnable Image

Burnable Image
GlobalNomad
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 05:42 PM

How do you burn a bootable image in Mac OS 9 without the use of that Toast Application.

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2002, 08:13 PM

If you mean without using third party apps, I don't think you can. Programs (commercial) like Discribe, B's Recorder Gold, or NeroMAX are probably able to, but Apple's Disc Burner software can't even burn non-bootable images (at least to my knowledge).

GlobalNomad  (op)
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Northform:
<STRONG>If you mean without using third party apps, I don't think you can. Programs (commercial) like Discribe, B's Recorder Gold, or NeroMAX are probably able to, but Apple's Disc Burner software can't even burn non-bootable images (at least to my knowledge).</STRONG>
You can burn a non-bootable image, (i have done that before). I cant instal OS X.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 01:18 AM

Certain Mac OS 9 tools can do this.

(140)

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 09:32 PM

you're talking about an image with the .toast ending, right? sounds like you pirated an image and now don't have the software to use it.

you'll need toast afaik.

GlobalNomad  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 05:58 AM

Oh No nO not so.
Well I'll tell you the short version.
I had a messed up HD. Apple Care replaced it.
This new HD had a newer firmeware that OS 10.0 CD did not reqonsize. The funny thing is that they changed this problem with the update CD... The 10.1 update CD can see my HD but won't install (checkforosx). So Apple care doesn't have any 10.1 full install CD's to send me At the momment, so I'm going to end up waiting for about a week. I just need to burn a bootable 10.1 image with out the 'checkforosx' file and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to do it in OS 9.

Originally posted by fulmer:
<STRONG>you're talking about an image with the .toast ending, right? sounds like you pirated an image and now don't have the software to use it.

you'll need toast afaik.</STRONG>

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 5, 2002, 10:52 PM

I own both 10.0.0 and the 10.1 upgrade and have tried to create an image of the 10.1, remove the Check for OSX file, and burn but something always goes wrong and I get a coaster. I would like to just have one CD for reinstalls so I don't have to go through the hassle of 10.0 and then 10.1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules