Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just figured out what is wrong with America

Just figured out what is wrong with America
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 09:50 PM

We take drugs for everything, just saw a commercial for a drug for people with restless legs. restlesslegs.com i think was the site for more info. Do we really need a drug for restlesslegs?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 10:01 PM

restless legs can be a symptom of some unknown serious condition I am sure. so better to stop the symptom than cure the real ailment.
( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Dec 25, 2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: afterthought)

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2006, 10:14 PM

I don't take pills except for colds or something serious which is usually 2-3 times/decade. I just proved you wrong.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 10:23 PM

primary main objective: make money

way to reach objective: install fear, sell the cure (that is usually subscription based)

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 11:21 PM

i take meds for colds/allergies that's all.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 11:27 PM

My six hour erection vehemently disagrees with you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I don't take pills except for colds or something serious which is usually 2-3 times/decade. I just proved you wrong.
You just proved that you are a terrororist or forain agent.
[sic!]
-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
We take drugs for everything, just saw a commercial for a drug for people with restless legs. restlesslegs.com i think was the site for more info. Do we really need a drug for restlesslegs?
If some kind of muscular or neurological disorder in my legs is keeping me from sleeping, what do you recommend I do?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If some kind of muscular or neurological disorder in my legs is keeping me from sleeping, what do you recommend I do?
Amputation. Nah, prolly drugs. But don't advertise them on TV.

-Owl

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What are you, clinically insane?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 05:41 AM

It's the Jews.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2006, 06:01 AM

I pop excedrin like candy for headaches. Aside from that I can't remember the last time I've taken a prescription drug. It has been a couple of years most likely.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 10:44 AM

As a culture, we Americans want a QUICK RESOLUTION to just about everything. Taking a drug for a minor problem is part of that. I generally take preventative measures so that I don't need cold medications, use more direct methods on my headaches (which are almost all either tension or sinus, so hot tea and relaxation helps both), and I know why my joints and muscles complain when I abuse them so I avoid such abuse when I can.

As it turns out, the crush of crowds this year has managed to overwhelm my preventive measures and I have some sort of cold that I HATE. I should have worn a surgical mask at the mall...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
I pop excedrin like candy for headaches. Aside from that I can't remember the last time I've taken a prescription drug. It has been a couple of years most likely.
Dude, Excedrin is LOADED with caffine and the main sypmtom of caffine withdrawl is headaches! You're not curing your headaches with it you're causing them. Geez, you've proved this thread's thesis with your posting! Why don't you go to starbucks and stop popping pills that are full of aspirin and tylenol that you don't even need? You better read up on the 'candy' you're taking... Aspirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Paracetamol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Excedrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 01:42 PM

My legs have done that for years. They hurt and jerk involuntarily when I'm overly tired. The remedy is to sleep.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 02:40 PM

We take drugs for everything
You think that's what's wrong with America? Of all the possible political and social problems, you chose that?

Your thread title sucks.
Do we really need a drug for restlesslegs?
Yes. Drugs help people.

Here's what's really wrong with America: whining about something without the slightest clue about the relevant issues. (Tom Cruise's whining about psychiatry and psychiatric drugs springs immediately to mind).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 02:42 PM

What's wrong with America isn't that we take drugs, it's that the drug companies try to circumvent the doctors by advertising on tv and increasing their revenue.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
You're not curing your headaches with it you're causing them. Geez, you've proved this thread's thesis with your posting!
Not quite. He proved people recklessly self-medicate without consulting a doctor and/or reading instructions for proper drug use.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2006, 02:49 PM

Sorry, this whole thread sounds like a straw man argument. What exactly is "wrong" with America? I'm not saying it's perfect... not by a long shot, but as compared to many other countries with a population over 100 million+ we seem to be doing rather OK.

Also, many countries can buy over-the-counter what requires a prescription in the US.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2006, 03:52 PM

Dude, Excedrin is LOADED with caffine and the main sypmtom of caffine withdrawl is headaches! You're not curing your headaches with it you're causing them. Geez, you've proved this thread's thesis with your posting! Why don't you go to starbucks and stop popping pills that are full of aspirin and tylenol that you don't even need? You better read up on the 'candy' you're taking... Aspirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Paracetamol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Excedrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I like how you take one possible side effect of a medication, and decide that it ultimately is the cause of issues that could be related to thousands of other problems. I couldn't possibly have had frequent headaches prior to taking medication for them, nooo, unpossible.

Further, much like you, I am prone to exaggeration. "Popping them like candy" in my case, equals taking 2 excedrin once every 2-3 weeks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2006, 07:54 PM

Wrong about Excedrin causing headaches. I've had horrible headaches for years, and Excedrin is the only thing that stops them. It is indeed "loaded" with caffeine, but caffeine doesn't cause headaches. The headaches are caused by someone withdrawing from caffeine.

If you drink a lot of caffeine (like Mountain Dew, for instance), and you try to go a few days without a caffeinated soda, you're going to be popping Excedrin just to keep yourself sane. Keep in mind that Excedrin isn't even close to being as bad for you as a Mountain Dew.

And then there are some people who can only get rid of non-caffeine related headaches by using Excedrin. My friend is like this. Drinks a gallon of water a day (and no soft drinks), but for years he had horrible headaches that he just suffered through. He found Excedrin about 2 years ago, and said that it's the only thing that helped him.

Who knows?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 26, 2006, 08:08 PM

That's why I take Percocets instead.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 26, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
but as compared to many other countries with a population over 100 million+ we seem to be doing rather OK.

Even if it was an understatement.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 11:34 PM

Do we really need a drug for restlesslegs?
Do you have it? If you did, you’d know how incredibly uncomfortable (and sometimes painful) it is. Personally, it makes it very difficult for me to fall asleep, but it only occasionally wakes me up at night, which is why I’ve opted not to take medication – for many people, it actually disrupts their sleep, so why not take medication for that? Losing hours of sleep every night is not a light issue.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2006, 11:40 PM

Requip has helped me sleep again. I eventually got to the point where I wouldn't even go to sleep or if I did it wasn't a deep sleep. Something was needed for severe RLS and now it is available.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 AM

sh*ttest thread ever

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 27, 2006, 12:35 AM

Go Liechtenstein!!ELEVEN!!1!!!

Oh wait. Wrong thread.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 01:30 AM

MONACOOOOOOooo01!

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 05:35 AM

When I was a teenager and before i started working, I always insisted on not taking any medication when I was ill. I always believed in letting my body do all the hard work of building up immunities. While that worked well for me back when I had all the time in the world to recover, I often have no choice but to take a Tylenol or a Claritin..... or some TheraFlu these days, most especially because work and college always demand that I be working at 150%.

As for the theme of taking a pill for every little thing however, I think we have gone a little overboard. Common side effects include dry mouth, paralysis, and an urge to slash tires.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 27, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Do you have it? If you did, you’d know how incredibly uncomfortable (and sometimes painful) it is. Personally, it makes it very difficult for me to fall asleep, but it only occasionally wakes me up at night, which is why I’ve opted not to take medication – for many people, it actually disrupts their sleep, so why not take medication for that? Losing hours of sleep every night is not a light issue.
A lot of people can't see "problems" unless they experience them themselves.

Such a thing could have a horrible effect on your mental health.

Forum Links
Forum Rules