Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Adding more horsepower to my Civic (pic)

Adding more horsepower to my Civic (pic)
mindwaves
Jan 7, 2007, 11:53 PM

I would like to mod my Civic when the warranty expires in about 10,000 miles. I only want a minor engine modification so no fancy exterior tweaks. The problem is my Civic is SLOW. 0-60 in 10+ seconds is pretty sad. I would like to add 10-15 HP to it.

I will probably hire some guys who are "experts" on it since I do have an engine with VTEC. No, I don't want to do it myself or learn how. I don't know too much about car mods. Thoughts on doing something like this? How much should I be looking to spend?

( Last edited by mindwaves; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:26 PM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 AM

I'm not an expert in that domain, but I did own a Civic a few years ago and from what I read, if you only want to add a few HP, your best bet would be to swap the ECU with one from a higher-end Acura, and to upgrade your intake/exhaust system. I'm not sure you will notice the difference with only 10-15 more HP thou.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 8, 2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I'm not an expert in that domain, but I did own a Civic a few years ago and from what I read, if you only want to add a few HP, your best bet would be to swap the ECU with one from a higher-end Acura, and to upgrade your intake/exhaust system. I'm not sure you will notice the difference with only 10-15 more HP thou.
I think I will because I drove a 2006 Civic with 13 more HP and it was very noticeable. Thanks.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 12:03 AM

Have you tried adding flame stickers?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
No, no, no. This is all that's needed.

Demonstrated to add 34.83% more power than flame stickers.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 12:31 AM

Don't waste the money. If you don't enjoy the car now I would look into something else. Maybe an Si is in your future? Trying to get 10-15 hp out of tiny NA engine is a dead end. Enjoy what you have or find something else.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 12:34 AM

I simple intake/header/exhaust combo would do well, but stick with something tasteful...no huge mufflers or loud drone-y sounding things. Oh yeah, one of these too:

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 AM

add an edelbrock turbo kit?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 8, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
Flames + 15 HP = total babe magnet

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 01:12 AM

I got nothin, so here's a fake model shot while I wait for my Lunesta to kick in:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 01:37 AM

Well... I know a bit about modifying compacts, and here is the deal breaker:

WHAT KIND OF TRANSMISSION IS IN YOUR CAR PRESENTLY

If it's an auto, forget about modifying anything, sell it, and if you really like civics that much, get a manual version of it.

Automatics with 4 cylinder engines are just dogs... they are slow, they don't get as good of mpg, and they are NOT fun to drive. On the other hand, my wife's accord only had 98hp from the factory, and since it has a 5spd, it is fairly fun to drive. Here's my best example:

1st gen dodge/plymouth neons. With an automatic, the times in the quarter mile were 17.5-18 seconds. With the 5spd, it was 15.5-15.9s or so. That's a MASSIVE difference.

If you DO have a manual (which I'm kinda skeptical of), I'd just get a cold air intake for it. Exhausts on civics won't net you that much, plus they sound annoying and make you appear to be some boy racer lameass. Other than that, unless you want to spend a ton of money, just seriously get a different car. Honda makes pretty decent power from the engines, and just 'bolting something on' isn't going to get you much more power at all. The only way to make it fast is to turbo the thing, which costs a few grand, and is kinda complicated.

So... in summary, get a different car, or be prepared to learn a lot and do everything yourself and spend a bunch of money.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
Don't waste the money. If you don't enjoy the car now I would look into something else. Maybe an Si is in your future? Trying to get 10-15 hp out of tiny NA engine is a dead end. Enjoy what you have or find something else.
Nicely said.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 8, 2007, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the replies folks and the funny car mod. Yes, I have an automatic. I guess I will stick with it how it is until I need/want another car.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 02:00 AM

Yeah, if it's an auto leave it alone. What you should really do is just keep your eyes open for a nice used civic with a 5spd, it should be worth LESS than your auto... so there's potentially a way to get a 5spd civic, AND extra cash.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Nice parking.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 AM

sell it and get a real car.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 AM

I say keep it as a daily driver and get a 2nd car, one with some real power.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 PM

It's VTEC, not VTECH. VTECH makes phones. I can't stress this enough.

VTEC = Variable valve timing and electronic lift control.

I doubt there is any aftermarket for your motor, which is most likely a D16Y7. So unless you wanna rip apart the motor, all you can do is get a generic cold air intake and custom exhaust. You might get 5whp out of it.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Fett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 12:22 PM

Put some AEM cold air induction in it. I don't know how much horsepower it adds, but it improves gas mileage and feels much quicker through the higher rpms ( at least in my Integra).
"He's no good to me dead."

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM

The other option is ENGINE SWAP! Throwing a built h22 into it would be fun.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 02:48 PM

I suggest some blue LEDs where the windshield washers are. Also, those rims that spin around when the wheels aren't turning. That will make it way faster.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
I suggest some blue LEDs where the windshield washers are. Also, those rims that spin around when the wheels aren't turning. That will make it way faster.
Bah, who needs rims when you can get hubcaps that do pretty much the same thing!

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 02:53 PM

A cold air intake WILL get you noticeable HP.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Yes, I have an automatic. I guess I will stick with it how it is until I need/want another car.
BS. Modern cars have such restrictive intakes/headers/exhaust. Forget the header add a good quality cold air intake and a decent free flowing exhaust. It doesn't have to have a huge tip and lots of noise to make power. It can be discreet. A few hundred bucks and you will see some decent gains. I agree with ca$h that automatics are not the 1st choice when it comes to performance cars. I wouldn't make a track car out of a slushbox. However as a daily driver there is nothing wrong with making these mods. You'll be amazed at how free revving that engine becomes. Best part is you don't lose drivability.

Just watch for puddles.

Its not worth selling just cause its an auto.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 03:14 PM

One problem with that: A freer flowing exhaust might net you a bit more power, but at the loss of LOW END TORQUE. This wouldn't matter if it were another car, but it IS a honda, and honda doesn't really believe in torque. I think it'd be peppier around town with the stock exhaust, unless you were wailing on it.

As for the intake, who knows. Maybe it'll get you 5-7hp. But is that worth $150+?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus View Post

Its not worth selling just cause its an auto.
Yes it is. Autos suck. I have never driven a car with an auto that didn't piss me off unless you're talking big boats from the 60s and 70s. Those cars can have autos.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
One problem with that: A freer flowing exhaust might net you a bit more power, but at the loss of LOW END TORQUE. This wouldn't matter if it were another car, but it IS a honda, and honda doesn't really believe in torque. I think it'd be peppier around town with the stock exhaust, unless you were wailing on it.

As for the intake, who knows. Maybe it'll get you 5-7hp. But is that worth $150+?
He isn't a performance freak. The 2-3 lbs-ft he loses won't kill him, and he'l get the pep he is looking for.

As for the intake: Yes.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 03:19 PM

Yes it is. Autos suck. I have never driven a car with an auto that didn't piss me off unless you're talking big boats from the 60s and 70s. Those cars can have autos.
Its still a Civic, which is pretty much the top of that class. Whether its an auto or not, he has a nice car. I have only ever driven manuals in my life, on bikes (of course) and cars. Obviously thats my preference. That said, I am not going to knock this guys car just cause its a slushbox.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 03:20 PM

I thought your car was an auto.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
It is.

But its an SVX and its AWD, and it only came in auto yadda yadda

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 03:32 PM

In any case if you do get a new car make it a manual. Its lighter (better mpg and excel.) and wayyyyy cheaper to fix all tranmissions go out at some point and manuals can cost up to 70% cheaper to fix. I hated my first manual for the 1st 9 months I had it, but then I went back to auto and was terrified. Manuals are way safer. You can feel the detail of the road much better. I can even feel where the level of oil is through the pedals. Much more control of your speed as well. Autos just go when you take your foot off the brake, this results in delayed reaction time when you need to stop and you also cant feel the ice or rain on the road at all....if thats an issue. Thats why I can do 60 on the highway in CO with no sno tires and no 4wd and yet SUVs start falling off the roads at 30.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
It is. And you know what? I HATE THAT TRANSMISSION. It saps a ton of power, mileage, and fun outta the driving experience. Eventually, it'll be converted. Until then, I just have to be annoyed with it until I swap it for a 5 or 6spd.

Also, if I could have purchased an SVX with a manual, I would have, but there weren't any for sale at the time.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
In any case if you do get a new car make it a manual. Its lighter (better mpg and excel.) and wayyyyy cheaper to fix all tranmissions go out at some point and manuals can cost up to 70% cheaper to fix. I hated my first manual for the 1st 9 months I had it, but then I went back to auto and was terrified. Manuals are way safer. You can feel the detail of the road much better. I can even feel where the level of oil is through the pedals. Much more control of your speed as well. Autos just go when you take your foot off the brake, this results in delayed reaction time when you need to stop and you also cant feel the ice or rain on the road at all....if thats an issue. Thats why I can do 60 on the highway in CO with no sno tires and no 4wd and yet SUVs start falling off the roads at 30.
Nice write up.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 03:39 PM

It is. And you know what? I HATE THAT TRANSMISSION. It saps a ton of power, mileage, and fun outta the driving experience. Eventually, it'll be converted. Until then, I just have to be annoyed with it until I swap it for a 5 or 6spd.

Also, if I could have purchased an SVX with a manual, I would have, but there weren't any for sale at the time.
The SVX was never available with a stick.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 03:59 PM

Correction: Never available FROM THE FACTORY. There are lots of manual SVXs running around now, and they show up on ebay and for sale on the SVX network on a pretty regular basis. So like I said.... when I bought mine, there were not any for sale at the time. A buddy of mine bought his SVX for $1000 with a bad transmission, and swapped in a 5spd from a forester with 4.11s, and ran 14.5s with that change alone. Now he's turbo.... who knows what it'll run once it's tuned. >shrug<

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 04:02 PM

Correction: Never available FROM THE FACTORY. There are lots of manual SVXs running around now, and they show up on ebay and for sale on the SVX network on a pretty regular basis. So like I said.... when I bought mine, there were not any for sale at the time. A buddy of mine bought his SVX for $1000 with a bad transmission, and swapped in a 5spd from a forester with 4.11s, and ran 14.5s with that change alone. Now he's turbo.... who knows what it'll run once it's tuned. >shrug<

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 04:12 PM

Well, I know of one available to purchase right now, and it has a stick. So you're wrong.

eBay Motors: Subaru : SVX (item 220067526153 end time Jan-08-07 20:11:35 PST)

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 04:15 PM

He means they were modded for one after they were bought.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
He means they were modded for one after they were bought.
I know exactly what he means.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 04:21 PM

Then why did you keep arguing as if you did not?

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 04:24 PM

Well, I know of one available to purchase right now, and it has a stick. So you're wrong.

eBay Motors: Subaru : SVX (item 220067526153 end time Jan-08-07 20:11:35 PST)
I am not wrong. When the SVX was offered for sale by Subaru it wasn't available with a manual transmission. Sure aftermarket wise you can add one on, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't know who did the work. The car was never intended to be sold with one, there is a lot of crap that can go wrong in a conversion. Now if a mechanic I know did it maybe I would trust it. Either way, its more hassle than its worth for that car. There is much else available on the market to have tunnel vision on that one car.

If we look at things with your glasses on, we could probably shoehorn a LS6 into your car and get it to run 12's. So, the SVX is available with a LS6 engine. Happy?

So...

( Last edited by maximusbibicus; Jan 8, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 04:24 PM

^

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Then why did you keep arguing as if you did not?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

I am not wrong. When the SVX was offered for sale by Subaru it wasn't available with a manual transmission. Sure aftermarket wise you can add one on, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't know who did the work. The car was never intended to be sold with one, there is a lot of crap that can go wrong in a conversion. Now if a mechanic I know did it maybe I would trust it. Either way, its more hassle than its worth for that car. There is much else available on the market to have tunnel vision on that one car.

If we look at things with your glasses on, we could probably shoehorn a LS6 into your car and get it to run 12's. So, the SVX is available with a LS6 engine. Happy?

So...

Yes, you are, because there are currently SVXs that ARE AVAILABLE, that have manual transmissions. You are claiming there never were, and are not any available with manuals, and quite simply, there are. I linked to one available right there.

As to the conversion, it's really not very difficult at all. It bolts right in. The only pains are welding the pedal assembly in place, and trimming the console for the shift boot. It's a bolt in modification. The reason that subaru did not offer a manual was that they had never made a car so powerful, with so much low end torque, and that much weight before. Since 1992, subuar has strengthened their 5spd to handle similar power and weight (WRXs, foresters, etc). The 6spd, available in the STi, is even stronger.

And why would you put an LS6 into an SVX? It wouldn't fit, and subaru is all about the boxer engines. This isn't some frankenstein modification. It's removing the old transmission, bolting in the new one, grinding a tad off the subframe so that the transmission doesn't hit it under load, trimming the console, and welding in a new pedal assembly from a donor subaru. It's NOT very technical, hard, or complicated.

As far as having tunnel vision, you're the one modifying a FWD 4 banger, not me.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 05:18 PM

^

No, you still argued with him after you knew what he was talking about. That didn't answer my question.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 8, 2007, 05:42 PM

Ok, I got my answer. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules