Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Label'O's

[ANN] Label'O's
swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 09:10 PM

Think of it as SimpleX's younger, funner, hipper brother.

No bells or whistles.
Just a zipped guiKit for you to do with as you please.

Download:
http://idisk.mac.com/swizcore/Public...9;s.guiKit.zip

Is also available through the SS download tab as well, will be featured on the Swizcore Studio site next week.

Time to get back to life again.

Looky:
( Last edited by swiz; Oct 27, 2004 at 09:41 PM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:15 PM

not quite my cup of tea. but good to see you back in the game (even if i think the theme isn't up to your standards).

mac15
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

Grabbed via the download panel, very... well I'll let you know

Jaos
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 09:31 PM

O
M
G
Awesome work Swiz I am loving this

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
not quite my cup of tea. but good to see you back in the game (even if i think the theme isn't up to your standards).
Up to my standards in terms of... like boundary pushing or quality?
I think this is my best theme yet in terms of fit and finish. Its definitely not meant to be stealthy cool or anything, just fun and simple.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Download:
http://idisk.mac.com/swizcore/Public...geBand.dmg.zip
why is it garageband.dmg.zip?

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

I see you left some Aqua elements. The finder splitter gripper thingie. The async wait animation. Cannot stand to have any leftover Aqua bits in a theme. It just looks lazy and cheap. It detracts from the immersiveness of the theme. And this isn't just you. It's all of Cotl Studio's themes, too, sadly. I refuse to use them because of it. Somatic has a beautiful async wait animation. So does Milk.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I see you left some Aqua elements. The finder splitter gripper thingie. The async wait animation. Cannot stand to have any leftover Aqua bits in a theme. It just looks lazy and cheap. It detracts from the immersiveness of the theme. And this isn't just you. It's all of Cotl Studio's themes, too, sadly. I refuse to use them because of it. Somatic has a beautiful async wait animation. So does Milk.
Ah well, my wife and building my house take priority over being the most prolific themer who doesnt accept donations.

BTW The FInder splitter dimple is not left over. I did that. If you refuse to use any theme that doesnt replace the async animation, your left with slim pickens. How often do oyu see that anyway?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by underwood:
why is it garageband.dmg.zip?
DOH!!
Fixed sorry about that.

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 09:46 PM

This is super! My foavorite color scheme and I love the Finder toolbar buttons.

BTW...... How do you add a theme to the SS Download Panel?

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:46 PM

Ah well, my wife and building my house take priority over being the most prolific themer who doesnt accept donations.

BTW The FInder splitter dimple is not left over. I did that. If you refuse to use any theme that doesnt replace the async animation, your left with slim pickens. How often do oyu see that anyway?
Constantly. I realize it may take more effort to come up with a 12 frame animation, but it's so tiny that it can't be that difficult. That animation appears in EVERY Safari tab. It appears in Mail when checking messages. It appears all over. It looks so out of place in a non-Aqua theme. Max themes it. DSKY themes it. David Lanham themes it. Please?

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:47 PM

Up to my standards in terms of... like boundary pushing or quality?
I think this is my best theme yet in terms of fit and finish. Its definitely not meant to be stealthy cool or anything, just fun and simple.
i meant in style, but then again, themes like this (i don't really know how to describe it accurately) aren't my biggest turn on. i mean, i'm sure its up to your usual standard of quality manufacturing, but i don't like these kind of themes. just a personal thing.

btw, you see the async animation in safari a lot if you use tabs.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:47 PM

Constantly. I realize it may take more effort to come up with a 12 frame animation, but it's so tiny that it can't be that difficult. That animation appears in EVERY Safari tab. It appears in Mail when checking messages. It appears all over. It looks so out of place in a non-Aqua theme. Max themes it. DSKY themes it. David Lanham themes it. Please?
hes probably busier than BBX and Max combined. give him a break.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:49 PM

hes probably busier than BBX and Max combined. give him a break.
He should get a divorce. Maybe I'll start a poll!

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 09:50 PM

After the house is done I promise to do my best to tend to the async animation in all my theme updates. Im just itchin for a break again now .

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:51 PM

After the house is done I promise to do my best to tend to the async animation in all my theme updates. Im just itchin for a break again now .
You = rock.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 09:53 PM

Label O's is really nice and tight. I think it's your best theme yet (save for GUiPod).

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:59 PM

are building the house yourself or are you just like "supervising"? did you design it too? heh. a Swiz house.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:01 PM

sweet.

btw, on my pb, if i've left appearance on "graphite", or switch to it, and apply this theme, horrific color things happen.

anyone else?

(this has happened on a few other themes as well...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:06 PM

It's a matter of taste... I don't think it's a matter of standards.
Looks really nice swiz, I'll use it when I'm in the mood for something bright.
click one

nanovivid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:07 PM

Same here. I like the theme other than the not-being-able-to-use-it-with-graphite part.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by nanovivid:
Same here. I like the theme other than the not-being-able-to-use-it-with-graphite part.
yea, ppl need to start doing include graphite versions (where it applies of course).

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 10:13 PM

are building the house yourself or are you just like "supervising"? did you design it too? heh. a Swiz house.
Im ACTUALLY building it. I found a plan I liked and changed a few things about it. My good friend is an architect so he drew up the new plans from scratch fro me. The framing is all done now so I will have a little more time than before since im getting into the stuff now that contracotrs will be doing. Im still keeping my hands in most everything though.
I'll post pictures when it gets a bit further.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 27, 2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by underwood:
yea, ppl need to start doing include graphite versions (where it applies of course).
Hopefully if the theme is a success I will do color variants at some point. I didnt want to do the graphite stuff because I wasnt sure if useing Blue or Graphite would be a big deal for people. Is there a benefit in other areas of the system to use Graphite over Blue when a theme is applied?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:17 PM

Hopefully if the theme is a success I will do color variants at some point. I didnt want to do the graphite stuff because I wasnt sure if useing Blue or Graphite would be a big deal for people. Is there a benefit in other areas of the system to use Graphite over Blue when a theme is applied?

maybe just where apps don't read the themes (i hate the traffic light buttons)

one place this theme absolutely shines: itunes; has never looked better!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:20 PM

Wow, just tried this. As a bright blue fiend, I'm in absolute heaven.

Great work, swiz!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
maybe just where apps don't read the themes (i hate the traffic light buttons)
I also hate the traffic light buttons.
click one

mac15
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 10:25 PM

It's pretty nice (the text is alot better than in the beta). Shocking in Camino though... Not your fault though

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:33 PM

Very nice. Very clean. Very smooth. I like it.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 10:45 PM

Is it supposed to look like this?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
Is it supposed to look like this?

see above posts...switch appearance pane from "graphite" to "aqua"...and all will be well!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:59 PM

Nice theme swiz. Glad to see one of the veteran themers coming back from the dead (seems like Max has fallen off the face of the Earth?). Its a bit too contrasting for my tastes, but I wouldve liked it back when I still used Smoothicons.

Good luck on the house man.

later.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Sage
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:06 PM

Is there a benefit in other areas of the system to use Graphite over Blue when a theme is applied?
Personally, the main reason I like to use Graphite is because of the focus ring… blue focus rings look downright terrible in non-blue themes. It's not a problem with this theme, since it's blue to begin with, but it really reeks havoc on other themes (for nit-picky poo-heads like me, anyway ).

That aside, looks great! I especially like the thin outlines for some reason.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
see above posts...switch appearance pane from "graphite" to "aqua"...and all will be well!
Awesome.. worked

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:33 PM

This goes to all themers: is it really so hard to make perfect antialiased corners? Is it?

It's my beef with quite a few themes including this one.

Just constructive criticism

Chris

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 11:58 PM

I'm digging this, and I can't wait until it's completely done. I wasn't expecting you to finish nearly so soon, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

And don't listen to anybody on these boards. Real life definitely comes first.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
And don't listen to anybody on these boards. Real life definitely comes first.
after world of warcraft. ::coughadambettscough::

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 12:47 AM

What a bunch of ungrateful nerds some of you are. If this guy is making themes on his own time and money, give him a break will ya? Sheesh. All this whining and demands. Man oh man.

Good work. I hope continue to enjoy making these themes as a hobby. As others have said, family/house and work come before theming.

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 12:58 AM

after world of warcraft. ::coughadambettscough::
Why won't open beta start? :| (refresh, refresh, refresh)

Swiz, I like the theme a lot. I'm always going for simplicity with color, I'm sick of the grays and blacks... (white is still cool). Anyway, job well done. My only criticism would have to be how large the widgets are... but that's just personal taste and probably won't deter me from using this theme. Thanks again.

eme
Oct 28, 2004, 02:04 AM

With no intention to bother... swiz, are you going to update your other themes... personally i would love to see an updated guipod and maybe jetblack... great work, label o's it's not my style but it does look good...

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:17 AM

Great job Kevin
I really like what you did with some elements like the push buttons and the tabs. very refined.
to you
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 02:28 AM

How's the house going? Ready for your own home improvement show? I like the theme. It's a bit bright, imo, but it'll make a nice change of pace, sort of like a curveball from a fastball pitcher, once eXec starts to get a little long in the tooth.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Acrimonium
Oct 28, 2004, 08:34 AM

Label OS, like the one You put on lips, winter ?

*Labello

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 28, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by dfiller:
My only criticism would have to be how large the widgets are... but that's just personal taste and probably won't deter me from using this theme. Thanks again.
I'll keep that in mind for the future, I usually like smaller widgets too.

Originally posted by eme:
With no intention to bother... swiz, are you going to update your other themes... personally i would love to see an updated guipod and maybe jetblack... great work, label o's it's not my style but it does look good...
Oh yeah. Ive been planning on this for quite sometime. Label'O's, like all my themes, started as a quick bit of inspiration; just something I wanted to test out. A week before SS's 2.0 release smeg asked if I wanted to include it in the release so I went balls to the wall on it for a week. Anyway, my point is Ive been wanting to update my other themes wit happ skins and stuff. PowerMetal was the first on the list and it needed not only an update but quite alot of refining. Bottom line is, I will be updating/refining all my other themes before releasing anything new. But there will be a new release soon thereafter.

Originally posted by Randman:
How's the house going? Ready for your own home improvement show? I like the theme. It's a bit bright, imo, but it'll make a nice change of pace, sort of like a curveball from a fastball pitcher, once eXec starts to get a little long in the tooth.[/B]
Thanks very much, I love the analogy.

Im glad this theme has found its niche with at least a few people. I really like it. THe inspiration stems from a screenshot I saw in the (duh) screenshot thread. All I saw was an adium buddy list which used a soft blue titlebar and the normal Apple white/baby blue alternating list view. I instantly opened Photoshop and started fleshing this idea out.

Thanks for the input to all.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 09:45 AM

Great work Mr Swiz... I'm love'n the blue on white!!!

?: Any way to get the desktops out of the guikit file? I would like to mod them slightly for use on my PB and G5 setups...

Thanks again for the hard work.. You better get back to building before the snow flies...

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 10:15 AM

firstly, great to see you back here swiz
secondly, nice minamalist, ice cream theme, I like it
thirdly, good luck lifting heavy things

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 05:34 PM

Pretty sweet. Round check boxes, who'da thunk it?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

[Glitch]: Don't know if your aware of the white text on white background... Happens in Strata CX and in a couple of other major apps...

Thanks....

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 28, 2004, 08:37 PM

I just uploaded a new version which fixes(changes to white) the blue text on hover in Safari's bookmarks bar.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Oct 28, 2004, 09:46 PM

BTW, aside from Safari's bookmark bar font usage, Chalkboard goes best with Label'O's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules