Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Trouble formatting WD 250GB HDD

Trouble formatting WD 250GB HDD
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 12:45 PM

Hello All

Just slapped a new WD 250GB drive in an empty bay on one of my Macs and it's not initialising. Disc utility sees it OK but it only offeres a choice of Apple HFS or UNIX for file systems and erasing or partitioning fails due to an invalid size apparently.

Set the drive to slave first and then tried it on cable select but same difference.

Any ideas

regards

Andrew

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:34 AM

Try only formatting 127GB.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 04:43 AM

I see what your saying but it already has a 500GB drive working fine on the other ide bus.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 06:47 PM

Does the 250GB drive work on that other IDE bus? Could be a situation where one controller (intended for the optical drives) doesn't support LBA48 while the other does.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Does the 250GB drive work on that other IDE bus? Could be a situation where one controller (intended for the optical drives) doesn't support LBA48 while the other does.
This Mac has three IDE busses. One for the two optical bays, one for the two front drive bays and one for the rear two drive bays. However it sounds like it might be worth putting the 250GB drive on the same bus as the 500GB one just to check.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 12:28 PM

Ho Hum.

Tried rearranging the drives in the old girl. Got the new 250GB drive and the 500 on the same (main) IDE bus. The other bis holds a 40GB drive (system) and a backup drive (160GB).

When starting the 250GB drive seems to make a series of strange clicking noises. Disk Utility sees it fine as an unformatted drive. When I attempt to format it still only offers me UNIX or Mac OS Extended and when I try to partition it the whole thing greys out and I need to start Disk Utility again.

I guess the drive may be faulty. I'm taking it back tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules