Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading MBP hard drive

Upgrading MBP hard drive
hornsofglass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2008, 02:48 PM

Just a question about upgrading the hard drive on a MBP.
I know this is silly, but the hard drive options are about the only thing keeping me from ordering a MBP.
250GB is just not enough for my needs (factoring in future use).

I love that I can upgrade the hard drive in my MB myself.
I can get a 320GB drive for the MBP pretty cheap.

Can Apple (at a retail store) or a reseller install a user provided hard drive without voiding the warranty?

Any idea (ballpark) how much one would expect to pay for the install?

Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Apr 17, 2008, 06:35 PM

If they install it, it doesn't void your warranty.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 09:24 PM

There's no clear-cut answer for this, but this is the gist of it:

- If you do it right, they won't be able to tell -- especially if you swap in the original hard drive before taking it for repairs (obviously barring situations where the new hard drive is to blame for the problem)
- If you don't break anything while you're at it, Apple will usually honour the warranty *as long as the hard drive upgrade is not the cause of the breakage*; this is the same story they give everyone who asks about RAM upgrades and warranty -- you can open up your Macs and do it, as long as you don't break 'em

So basically, if you think you're capable of doing it without breaking your MBP, go ahead and do it. It's not a hard task, as long as you're not a technical invalid -- and as long as you keep track of the screws. ;-)

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2008, 09:52 PM

I posted a huge long thing on how to do this many MANY moons ago. So I'll keep this one short.

Go to Lowes and get a Kobalt jeweler's screwdriver w/ flat and philips heads. It's a metal blue body, small like a small screwdriver. I say that particular driver because it's got 8 heads, 4 of each, and all small, and all those sizes you can use while working on the mac.

Go to iFixit and download the manual for your particular MBP. Print it. Twice. Trust me. Now that you've printed it, take a 30 minute time out to actually read the whole thing from front to back so that you know what you'll be doing. You don't have to memorize it, you'll have that second copy to help you along with, but reading it before hand gives you the mental picture of what's going to occur. This is how surgeons prep for surgeries. You should do the same. If you read this and think you might not be able to do it by yourself, then stop here and take it to Apple. They'll charge you an hour of labor which I think for them is $75. Its well worth it for your peace of mind.

However if you feel you can undertake it, carry on. Also one more hint. Make sure that your wife, kids, etc... whomever is around, make sure they understand what you're doing and you shouldn't be disturbed. If things go well you'll find that by the first couple of pages you're going to start getting into the groove of it. You may even begin to enjoy it.

Next you'll need scotch tape.

Make sure you're not rushed that day. Make sure you have time, and you're in a wind-less environment. You don't want the pages flying all over do you? And trust me on this. A nice puff of a breeze can blow those screws all over to hell and back. Hence the scotch tape!

One word of caution. NO LIQUIDS IN THE ROOM! Don't even tempt yourself with a coffee break. If you want something to drink, go out of the room. Don't have any liquids around this. Not even a bottled water with the sippy cap. Literally one drop of water on your lappy's guts and you can kiss it goodbye.

First copy of your guide you can staple. You're gonna have that in your hands or propped up in front of you so you can see it at all times.

Second copy you're gonna use, step by step and lay it out, side by side, step by step. When you disassemble the MBP, go step by step. Each step where you take out a screw they have a picture on that print out that shows exactly what screws to remove. When you lay that out side by side, you can take the screw from each step, then tape it to the picture. This is a long way some may argue, but it's also a FOOL PROOF way of making sure that you put the right screws back in the right holes. Some of these screws are of varying depth. When you've finished one step, double check to make sure you've done it right, then move on.

Just follow that guide step by step and you'll be fine. Make sure if you can, to have either an anti static strap or just ground yourself before you do this. Touching your door knob or metal desk will do.

When you go to put it back together, now that you've laid it all out from step one to the end, just start at the end and work your way back. See? Much easier on the nerves this way, with the screws taped to the pictures and steps right?

Most of all, don't panic. If something is SLIGHTLY different, don't worry. Just use your head and you'll be fine.
Good luck. God speed.
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ooninay
Apr 18, 2008, 12:21 AM

That's a great post, bishop! you're obviously no stranger to this procedure. I'm thinking of doing this myself so if I do I'll definitely use your method.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2008, 02:04 PM

You're welcome. Things like this are the most satisfying as a real world tech. I believe that knowledge is free, and seeing someone who was on the fence fall over into the "I can do it!" catagory is most gratifying. You watch, once a person who thought of themselves as not capable of doing this kind of thing actually sits down and does it... the transformation is amazing. Some people feel like they're just a bit more tech savvy, and they are. The most complex task of taking apart an Apple laptop becomes simple when it's laid out right.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2008, 04:11 PM

Best advice I've read on how to "do the deed". The actual steps should always be in those illustrated "how-to" guides, but the technique for managing the different screws is always the factor that makes the difference between "got it done" and "did it well."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

moep
Senior User
Apr 18, 2008, 04:16 PM

I replaced my MPBs (late 2006, 17") harddrive with a Seagate 7200 rpm model two months after I bought the machine.
Following the mentioned iFixit guide made it a breeze.

It's also worth mentioning that the machine was at Apple twice for repairs (Superdrive and Display were replaced) with the third-party drive installed and I had no problems whatsoever.
Of course it would have been smarter to reinstall the original HD before sending the laptop in, but i was lazy and it still turned out fine.

The only thing you'll really have to watch out is to not destroy the flat cable connecting the keyboard to the logic board while prying the keyboard off. Be extra careful during that step and take a look under the keyboard when it's half open so you understand what to watch out for. I've read of quite a few people that damaged their keyboard connector during this step.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2008, 10:10 PM

High praise indeed coming from ghporter. Thank you kind sir, I can take my meds and go to sleep a happy man!

You guys interested in how a working tech does this kind of thing I'm going to write it up and put it up for keeps on my .mac blog. I had a bunch of how to's and stuff for tech beginners, advice and stuff, but when I changed .mac accounts last year I lost all that stuff. I was lazy and forgot to pull it. But it's cool because threads like this reminded me how much I love to show people just how easy some of this stuff can be. When I get this one written up I'll post it along with some pics of the tools that I use.

One other thing that someone mentioned... when you pry up that flat ribbon cable, you'll need a really nice sharp knife with a NON-serrated edge to start leveraging up the connector. I used the small blade of my Juice multi tool. It's a life saver.

To anyone else that's read this... you CAN do this kind of stuff. Yeah... I work as a tech and I should be telling you "bahh!!!!! noo!!!! you can't do it! It should only be done by a licensed and certified tech!" Well as a tech that makes his living doing this very thing.. I'll tell you that that is just certifiable BS. I'm halfway convinced that being "licensed & certified" means you're there to bilk the poor dumb shmuck who's had the bad luck to call you for as much money as you can, and while you're at it, leave a virus or 2 behind, break one thing, cut a cable and charge $200 for the honor of having their computer touched by you.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and I've never set foot in a computer class room ever! This kind of thing just takes knowledge, which is free anywhere at any time, to anyone, and some nerve. Which is NOT free. That's usually what you're paying a tech for, is their experience in doing tech work, such as fixing your computer, and not causing more damage along the way. Some of the local techs here just hate me. I've got a policy that I know will put me out of business sooner or later, and it's to offer switching advice anytime I can get it in.

Got virus'? Get AVG for free and get clean, then buy a Mac in 6 months!

Your computer acts up and you don't know why? Get some free spyware removal and buy a Mac next time!

When I left Portland, almost half of my client list had switched from Windows to Mac. It helps that Portland was a MUCH more tech savvy town than Albuquerque. And go figure. We've got a HUGE Intel fab plant here in Rio Rancho. But there's people down here when you ask them about a computer, the huck and spit, shift their stetsons and say "Shuuuuuute.... COMputers? What I need one'o dem' fer?"

Ugh. It helps that Apple has a store here.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2008, 11:52 PM

Be forewarned though... Apple stock drives have a specific tag on them which denotes they are "OEM", it cannot be duplicated. Unlike the MacBook (which the hard drive is simple to get to), MacBook Pros require careful disassembly and reassembly, as there are numerous small screws and metal tabs on the top case. If you're not comfortable working on precision electronics in a confined 1-inch thick chassis with meaningfully placed micro-ribbon cables -- take it to an Authorized Service Provider. It's not worth cutting corners and trashing your $2000+ investment.

I'll honestly say though, if an Apple Service Provider, like myself, finds a 3rd-party component which has been upgraded by a DIY'er, they will face an uphill battle if that part or craftsmanship of the install causes issues with other components.

Consider pricing your local Apple's Service Providers cost to install the drive. It's definitely something that can be done and tested with the Service Diagnostic in under an hour.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
To anyone else that's read this... you CAN do this kind of stuff. Yeah... I work as a tech and I should be telling you "bahh!!!!! noo!!!! you can't do it! It should only be done by a licensed and certified tech!" Well as a tech that makes his living doing this very thing.. I'll tell you that that is just certifiable BS. I'm halfway convinced that being "licensed & certified" means you're there to bilk the poor dumb shmuck who's had the bad luck to call you for as much money as you can, and while you're at it, leave a virus or 2 behind, break one thing, cut a cable and charge $200 for the honor of having their computer touched by you.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and I've never set foot in a computer class room ever! This kind of thing just takes knowledge, which is free anywhere at any time, to anyone, and some nerve. Which is NOT free. That's usually what you're paying a tech for, is their experience in doing tech work, such as fixing your computer, and not causing more damage along the way. Some of the local techs here just hate me. I've got a policy that I know will put me out of business sooner or later, and it's to offer switching advice anytime I can get it in.
So building frankenstein PCs and reading MacWorld articles makes you a Mac expert?

That is a terrible misrepresentation of the Authorized Service Provider network. Your broad assumption that we're out there to extort money somehow from an end-users technical ineptness. It would be entirely unethical, illegal, and not to mention against service provider guidelines, to sabotage a customers machine. We earn our customers and their repeat business by offering the highest professional customer service, Apple Certified expertise, and in-house servicing.

So, why do business with an Authorized Service Provider?
First, we are Apple trained and must re-certify annually. We learn the Mac OS and all hardware inside and out, and we must prove it to Apple before they let us work on clientele hardware. Secondly, we have access to Apple service tools, manuals, diagnostics, and parts. This all guarantees that a vetted technician has performed quality service.
( Last edited by dowNNshift; Apr 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM. )

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2008, 11:13 AM

thanks for all of the advice.
I have no doubt that I could physically, and safely, replace the drive in a MBP. I'm patient and fairly experienced in this sort of thing, having replaced the hard drives in powerbooks and iBooks before. The difference being that they were out of warranty.

The main issue that have with doing it myself is the warranty issue. I have had an issue with almost every single mac notebook from the last 4-5 years that my family has owned, that required sending it into apple for repairs.
The last thing that I want to do before sending a machine back in for warranty repairs is to re-replace the original hard drive. Especially if I've already put it into an external case, or in the wife's macbook.

If it will retain the warranty, and I can get it done for a reasonable price, then it's worth the extra money to me. Now if the applecare was expired, then that's another story...

thanks for all the tips though!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 12:32 PM

I'm with dowNNshift on this one. While you CAN do it yourself, and bishop's guide is great, do realize that even if you know what you're doing if you don't have the EXACT right tools and haven't taken one apart before, you most likely will damage the case when you try to pull off all those little tabs. I did it to my PowerBook G4 and even being very careful you have to use quite a bit of force to get the tabs to come undone, and if you don't know exactly where to apply pressure, you can end up with a damaged case that's pretty easy to tell that you've opened it.

Just something to consider.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
So building frankenstein PCs and reading MacWorld articles makes you a Mac expert?

That is a terrible misrepresentation of the Authorized Service Provider network. Your broad assumption that we're out there to extort money somehow from an end-users technical ineptness. It would be entirely unethical, illegal, and not to mention against service provider guidelines, to sabotage a customers machine. We earn our customers and their repeat business by offering the highest professional customer service, Apple Certified expertise, and in-house servicing.

So, why do business with an Authorized Service Provider?
First, we are Apple trained and must re-certify annually. We learn the Mac OS and all hardware inside and out, and we must prove it to Apple before they let us work on clientele hardware. Secondly, we have access to Apple service tools, manuals, diagnostics, and parts. This all guarantees that a vetted technician has performed quality service.

I wasn't talking about Apple authorized repair centers, rather the average mom and pop PC repair shop. Don't get your testies in an uproar.

And as for what makes me an expert? Hmm... 15 years of real world IT experience. But lets not quibble of that kind of thing. Lets instead ponder the fact that most of the new clients I get here in ABQ seem to have the same story.... "My last repair guy was here to fix... X..... and ever since then I've never been able to do... Y." Fact of the matter is if I'm charging $50 per hour and I'm gaining more clients per week, I think that qualifies me to speak about the PC repair world in general. Mmmkay? Thanks.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2008, 05:43 PM

Im looking at bumping up my poor 160GB drive but I am in no way going to open this beast up and tool with it. What are some places I can go to (certified and safe) to have it done?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2008, 08:16 PM

There is probably an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area-check the phone book. If you have them do the work it will be done right and your warranty will be intact.

It's not that this work is difficult to do, but it's tedious, it's very precise work, there are a lot of tiny screws involved (that require very tiny drivers-and they're not very forgiving of screwdrivers that aren't perfect for them, either), and there are delicate, easily disturbed parts between your case and your drive. If you aren't 100% confident that you can do the job yourself, perfectly, pay someone $50 to do it for you-and it'll be their job to do it right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2008, 07:43 PM

I am an amateur and I have replaced hard drives now in a large number of Apple computers. But I started by doing low=risk repairs with older, EOL machines (like a 5 year old Lombard PB - replacing the DC board) before I took on current machines.

iFixit is great - check out their site, read the instructions from front to back, get the missing tools you need, and take everything slowly when you are ready. I actually prefer to have the iFixit site on a laptop on a large table or desk rather than a bunch of printouts, but that's just me. My last repair I ended up fixing several screws placed incorrectly by the Apple technicians when they replaced the defective optical drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules